serama hen depressed

yogabbagirl

Chirping
8 Years
Jan 23, 2013
Memphis, Tn
my first time serama mama just lost a chick she hatched with no interference from me. she seems to be sleeping alot, eats a little, but not herself. do they get depressed? or is she still really doing the 'nesting' behavior? when will she come out of it? i dont understand about humidity and hen hatching eggs. i get it about using incubators though. chick made it almost out of shell with some membrane stuck to it. next time i will help chick. been reading about that. hope she hatches several and i can sell some. no one seems to have any around memphis tn where i live. winnie, the hen is buff and cocoapuff is a chocolate frizzle roo. they will make beautiful babies i bet. newbie still. thanks.

Chickens do mourn the loss of their friends/babies. She'll be back to normal in a few weeks but her heart is hurting right now. Maybe you can let her keep a chick if more hatch, or offer her a special treat like bird seed?

my first time serama mama just lost a chick she hatched with no interference from me. she seems to be sleeping alot, eats a little, but not herself. do they get depressed? or is she still really doing the 'nesting' behavior? when will she come out of it? i dont understand about humidity and hen hatching eggs. i get it about using incubators though. chick made it almost out of shell with some membrane stuck to it. next time i will help chick. been reading about that. hope she hatches several and i can sell some. no one seems to have any around memphis tn where i live. winnie, the hen is buff and cocoapuff is a chocolate frizzle roo. they will make beautiful babies i bet. newbie still. thanks.

Is she still sitting in the nest? Has she got any more eggs that are due to hatch? She is most likely still broody if that's the case. Would it be possible for you to get her some 1-2 day old chicks to adopt?

my seramas are indoor/oudoor. they sleep in a catbed with me sometimes. i cuddle them alot and they are the sweetest things. spent more time with her and she is coming out of slump.not making her usual whinneying sounds, hence her name is Winnie. i hope she lays eggs soon so more can hatch. going to first monday in ripley ms soon. maybe they will have serama or other chicks. dont know if she would adopt them. and thanks for comments.

Back
Top Bottom