Serama Hen with Big Hole in her Body ! Update: I had to put her down..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenzoo, Aug 14, 2008.

1. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

My one little serama has not been feeling well the past few days. I've been watching her but have not taken her out until today....then I noticed a big black scabby thing on her side below vent and extending towards the back of her leg, I peeled away the scab and OMG it stunk so bad. Poor thing! I took her in and scooped all the junk out of it, soft nasty stinky decaying stuff. Then it left me with a hole the size of the top joint of my thumb, wide and deep.
    I rinsed it with Oxine, put her in a warm Epsom salt bath, rinsed it again w/ oxine and packed it full of neosporine.also gave some LA200. She is sleeping but is alert, her crop is full but perhaps a little firm, so i gave her some Veg oil wich she seemed to like. I don't know what happened to her. She is at least 2 yo. Has been laying off and on since i've had her, aprox 1 year. No other signs of trama, kept in wire floor cage with her roo. was fine until the beginging of the week were she seemed mopey, just not as active. She gets CStarter w/ oyster shell on the side and fruits & veggies. Any ideas what could have happened? i didn't take a pic because now it is full of Neosporin.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    It probably started as a small wound and just festered for a while. There was a thread a while back about someone who treated a hen that had a largw wound with maggots. If you could find that thread it might be helpful. Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. Yoko

Yoko Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    SanDiego,California
    sometime you should get a pic of her,that would help

4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Could she have possibly been bit by a brown recluse?

5. 1WildHairL8tr

1WildHairL8tr Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2007
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I was thinking the same thing -- brown recluse.
    Poor thing.
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things though.
    Good luck!

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Yeha that could be a bite. It also could have been maybe she got some poo on a small area that didn't come off and then it eventually got infected?? The flies would have flocked to the poo area and caused troubles. My Seramas can get their wings pretty dirty on the bottom.

eta:well at least you found it and are taking care of it. Did you find that thread?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    She gets CStarter w/ oyster shell on the side and fruits & veggies. Any ideas what could have happened? i didn't take a pic because now it is full of Neosporin.

If your bird is not yet of laying age you should not be offering oyster shell!
    be sure to rinse/flush out the wound daily (twice daily if you feel is festering) with sterile saline (you can make your own by boiling 1/4 tsp salt in a quart of water for five minutes>make fresh daily)
    I would suggest you use GANULEXV:
    http://www.jeffersequine.com/ssc/product.asp?CID=1&pf_id=11806

8. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I went to the Vet because I knew it was not good and I did not want her to suffer. Her bowel had been cut and their was no hope of repair...She was a sweet little 9oz serama hen named Olive, and I hope one of the eggs I hatch will have been of hers. She was one of my first seramas and I'll miss her cute little face. I still don't know how she hurt herself, if it was the roo or if she hurt herself on one of the perches etc..I feel really sad, they put her in a little box for me and Hubby is burying her now. [​IMG]

9. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Oh sweetie! I am so sorry. Bless you for caring for her the way you did. You will be in my thoughts today.

10. Sebrightmom

Sebrightmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Greencastle, IN
    I am sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by