1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Serama Housing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mylilchix, Feb 23, 2009.

1. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm thinking of raising seramas in the house. What are the space requirements for a pair? I want to make sure they have enough space.

Thanks,
    Sonja

2. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I have a pair inside right now in a rabbit size plastic bottom cage and its plenty of room. It has a wire top.....Ill have to go measure it. They seem like they are happy in there.

3. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    How often do you have to change their cage when they are in that pen?

4. mylilchix

I'm looking forward to the measurement! I was thinking of getting a rabbit hutch for them. Are they really stinky when they're in the house? I would really love a pair of house chickens to feed my addiction!! [​IMG]

Sonja

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I don't have any problem with them in the house, I don't do it often, a gerbil smells a lot worse. Just clean them weekly, and have a thick layer of wood chips and high sides so they don't kick it out. Don't forget about the rooster crowing, it will go through the whole house, I don't mind it. [​IMG]

one of those long platice hamster pens works great
    I think there about 2x3 ?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  6. mylilchix

Thank you so much. Oooo, I want seramas now [​IMG], but I have to get our Pekin pair out of the house first. Will putting a dark blanket over the cage help te crowing a little?

Sonja

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Nope, I got used to it. a closed door helps. There so sweet you forget about thre crowing my roo only did it in the morning and after dark if someone turned on a light in the room he was in. mine don't seem to crow a lot.

8. mylilchix

I hope mine won't either [​IMG]!! Our pekin roo started crowing his first morning with us. The pair is in my sons room. It's cute but wakes him up. How does a serama crow compare to a standard or bantam roo?

Sonja

9. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    that some times depend on the bird. Archie is a quite crower.

[​IMG]

he a good house chicken, likes to perch on the kitchen window curtain rod, he likes to ride on people when they walk by

10. mylilchix

He is a beauty!! I can't wait to get a pair. We just brought home 7 new babies, so I don't think hubby will let me add anymore right now!

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by