Serama Inbreeding Suppression?

While it is possible, I don't think there are so few Seramas in the country that genetic depression would be a problem.
Have you thoroughly looked at the nutrition of your breeder flock. That is an often overlooked cause of hatchability problems.
The breed I raise may only have 200 birds in the entire country of which I have half. That is an inbreeding problem if there is one.

Check the amino acid, vitamin A, E and D content of the feed you give and possibly the mineral content like selenium, zinc, copper, etc..

While it is possible, I don't think there are so few Seramas in the country that genetic depression would be a problem.
Have you thoroughly looked at the nutrition of your breeder flock. That is an often overlooked cause of hatchability problems.
The breed I raise may only have 200 birds in the entire country of which I have half. That is an inbreeding problem if there is one.

Check the amino acid, vitamin A, E and D content of the feed you give and possibly the mineral content like selenium, zinc, copper, etc..

I very recently changed feeds to one that I hope is higher quality and have started supplying nutri-drench in the water. Hopefully it helps. I’ve also just brought in a ton of birds from different lines. Now I’ve got to wait until they start laying.

Good move. My problem is that there is nowhere else to get quality birds so I have to work with what I have.
I recommend that you call the company makin g your feed and aske them for a complete nutrient profile of the feed you buy. They should be able to do that.

Good move. My problem is that there is nowhere else to get quality birds so I have to work with what I have.
I recommend that you call the company makin g your feed and aske them for a complete nutrient profile of the feed you buy. They should be able to do that.
I didn’t think of that. I’m pretty sure what I’ve got going on is genetic though.

My eggs develop but then die a few days before hatch.
Embryo failure cause according to what day they quit starts around page 52 in the following link..
Incubation guide

For hatching I prefer Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell (product) given (mixed in food as a mash as it separates in water) a few weeks before egg collection starts if supplementing is being considered... I like to use the poultry nutri drench if needed after hatching or shipping chicks, fresh water is best.

Happy hatching! :fl:jumpy:jumpy

ETA: No supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row.

Has anyone else had issues with Seramas having inbreeding suppression? I can’t seem to get them to lay very much or hatch out. My eggs develop but then die a few days before hatch.
my Serama eggs hatch much better when hatched by the hens. I always lose some when I hatch them in an incubator. Unfortunately, I don't always have a broody hen to tuck the eggs under. I think Serama eggs are a bit fussy to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom