Serama is having a hard time breathing.

PaulRaye

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2015
Vallejo, CA
I've got a sick little Serama. She's always been a bit wheezy but after this last rain she's really having a hard time breathing. I've checked her crop and its not empty. Looked in her mouth but didn't see anything. Its like she just has a bad case of congestion. I've brought her inside to a warm clean cage but I'm not sure what else to do for her. Trying to include a video so you can see/hear.

Thanks,
Paul

0.jpg

How long has she been like this? Is she able to eat or drink anything? She is really in a lot of distress gasping and sneezing or snicking. Has she ever been checked for worms or wormed? I would get her on some antibiotics right away, such as Tylan 50 injectable, but give it orally, 1/4 ml or cc twice daily for 5 days. I would also worm her with Safeguard liquid goat wormer 1/4 ml orally for 5 straight days in case of gapeworm or capillary worms. If a vet is possible, that may be the best thing, since she is in real distress.

I agree with eggcessive. A vet would probably be the best thing for her. It is hard to come by if you don't get a prescription but it looks like Baytril would be helpful. I'd keep her very warm and make sure she is eating and drinking well.I would also buy Nutrical to help keep her strength up.It is meant for cats and dogs but you can give it to chickens. In fact I have a hen that has been very ill and when I started using the Nutrical she started acting better because she was weak. It is not medicine, it's just for nutrition. I've also heard that raw apple cider vinegar is helpful in respiratory problems in chickens but have not yet tried it on my chickens. Maybe it would be worth investigating.She looks still very alert so maybe you caught this in time before it gets worse. By the way...SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!

Thank you both for your advice. I've ordered some meds and vitamins that should be here in the next 2 to 3 days. She is doing much better this morning after saying in the warm house last night. She's drinking, eating and wheezing much less although its still there. I'll keep her inside for the next week or so depending on when those meds get here. We're also expecting more storms here in Northern California over the next week (we'll take the water) so I'll keep her inside and dry.

To answer your questions, she's only been like this for a day although she's always been a bit congested. She get huffing good after running across the yard after her flock mates. She's a bit of a princes, for example she can't be bothered to scratch on her own when the other hens are turning up the soil just fine for her. That's not to say she never scratches, just that she'd prefer some else to do to work. I've never had my hens checked for worms but I scrape their poop board almost daily and I've never seen any signs of worms.

Paul

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom