Serama laid an egg!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skye727, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I have a little Serama family in my living room in a bird cage. Yes....in my house. I was told they can't be cold. It's 35 degrees during the day so they are pets. My little hen laid an egg with a lot of noise and fuss. The roo is making tons of noise and going crazy. Maybe he told her no more kids. LOL They have a 2 month old. Now what? Do I need to separate him? What about the baby? She hates being away from Mom!

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    That's so cool!! You shouldn't have to separate the boy unless any of your others start losing feathers from being mated with or being pecked. I don't know much about serama's, so if someone comes along who does, totally listen to them :)

Where did you get yours? I really want some, but i have no idea where to get them.

3. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I got them from a friend. He didn't want them any more. Now I know why. Oreo is the loudest roo I have ever heard! Ugh! He's sweet though. Look on Ebay. You can get eggs on there. I have had no luck whatsoever with shipped eggs though.
    Does she have to be broody to sit on the egg? Will she "get it" and sit on it. So far she isn't. She half *** made a nest after laying it.

4. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Small size never means no noise lol :) thanks :) I didn't even think about getting hatching eggs [​IMG]

To hatch, they do need to go broody. The way you know she is broody is she will sit on it most of the time, coming off the nest for about 15-30 min a day to eat and drink. You could leave it and see is she takes an interest in it.

5. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    Sounds like you can keep your little family together :) If you want her to hatch eggs you can see if she's broody as she lays her eggs and sits on them once she's done. 4-6 eggs would be a good clutch of eggs for a Serama as they normally don't lay every day.

I have had very little trouble with my Seramas in the cold. We get down to zero a couple of times in the winter. They have done fine. The only time I have had trouble is a little A sized frazzle hen that doesn't have much protection with her feathers since they are frazzled. It's 30 degrees here now and I just brought her in because she was cold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by