Serama laying sporadically, now bloody egg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by IcedMochaChick, Oct 12, 2009.

1. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    My 7 mo. old serama hen hasn't been herself lately. She usually jumps out of the cage to run around and is very perky. She's been less energetic and not wanting to come out. Today, she layed her second bloody egg. I also noticed she had really watery droppings today. I keep the seramas in a small coop in the house. The floor is wire grate, no bedding. They're on flock grower with oyster shell and grit, along with veggies as treats. Anyone have any ideas?

2. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
  3. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I've never had that problem.

Maybe egg-bound???

4. IcedMochaChick

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    It's the outside of the shell that has the blood on it. It's quite abit of blood. The hen doesn't have any blood on her vent just on the egg. I checked her vent and it looks fine.

I think the whole situation started about two weeks ago. They being the two hens that I have started laying eggs with no shells. Two days after giving them oyster shell they started to lay with egg shell. One is back to normal laying everyday while the second is laying about once every four days but not consistant. Her energy level is down and not as people friendly as before. she eats fine seems to move without pain, but when she does lay here egg it just has blood on the outside. I'm lost as to think what it could be. The two other chickens in the pin are molting as well but she doesn't seem to have started.

thankyou for taking interest I'm rather confused and concerned.

5. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    Quote:could you take pics for us?? that would give us a better idea of what were looking at

6. hen-thusiast

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:Geez - I don't know what to tell you, I was hoping it was something simple. Maybe a picture will help? Good luck! [​IMG]

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    It is normal to have a bit of blood on the shell from a new layer but not one that has been laying for awhile. The seramas are as broody as silkies, could it be she is getting ready to go broody? I know that doesn't explain the blood on the egg but it makes sense with her behavior. I have an 8 oz hen who sometimes has trouble laying and isn't consistant about it at all and once in awhile there will be blood on the shell if she hasn't laid an egg in awhile.

8. IcedMochaChick

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Here is a picture of the serama eggs. The three in the front are from Toast, the hen I'm worried about. She's never had any interest in the nest box, besides pulling the straw out. She just lays her egg wherever she's at and goes about her business. Her behavior change and 2 bloody eggs have me puzzled. She isn't acting sick, just not herself. Her crop was emptied this morning. Her droppings were normal. Could she just be going into molt, or something?

[​IMG]

9. IcedMochaChick

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Well, I came home to another bloody egg tonight. I just wish I knew what to do for her.

10. hen-thusiast

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    I don't know what to tell you. Maybe try some bread soaked in olive oil to help her pass the eggs. Glad her droppings are back to normal.

Hopefully she's just going broody. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by