Serama not holding head up, weak, empty crop

CrazyAnimalGirl

Songster
9 Years
Jul 28, 2010
West of Atl, Ga
I have a Serama hen about laying age. I noticed today that she wasnt moving around very fast. A few hours later I saw her eating and it just looked strange, something about her stance. Well I walked over to her and she wasnt holding her neck up and didnt run away immediately so I knew something was wrong. I brought her inside to look at her and found that her crop is almost empty. I think that there may be a little something in there. But she pretty much has no crop.
She is already small, but possibly has lost a little weight.
Her face color is bright pink and fine.
She is still making little noises so not totally lethargic, but not moving hardly at all.
When she stands, she kinda sits and sticks her neck out like she cant hold it up.
She is also not eating anything I give her.

My chickens are free range, they dont wander over more than an acre though. It has been anywhere from 40 degrees to 80 degrees lately. It rained almost the entire week, today was the first day since sun nite that it didnt rain.
I feed them layer pellets but I think sometimes they get into the chick grower for my younger chicks. I also feed them bread, vegetables, treats like that.

Any ideas???

--She has also not laid an egg yet

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom