Serama people, I need advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Frizzledhen, Aug 19, 2008.

1. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    I was given 4 little serama chicks about 3 weeks old. I was told they had a bad bought with pasty butt but was over it. The day I got them, 2 had blood in their poo. I immediately started them on Albon. They are doing just fine now but seem a little ragged looking. I know very little about seramas and would like some advice on care and feeding and housing. Can they be left out in the MI winter? Do they need special food? Should they be on vitamins after the cocci treatment? Can they be carriers of cocci? They were not fed medicated feed but that is what I have them on now and all of my chicks are fed medicated feed. They are very cute and I am happy to have the chance of raising such little birdies. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

P.S. L&Schickens, Sarge is gorgeous! Pix of the week.

2. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I wouldn't let them out in cold (below freezing) weather since they had a rough start.Some serama ppl feed them pigeon feed- but mine didn't seem to like it.I feed my flock ( of silkes and seramas and layers and turkeys and ducks currently) a 50/50 mix or gamebird layer/breeder and redneck rooster or kicken chicken or other similar grain based product.I mix in DE when I have it. I haven't totally decided about heating for winter. If the electricity goes out- "pampered " birds are worse off- but I don't want them overly stresed by cold either. Insulation is important. If you have the building wired- I would probably use heat but only to about 40 or 50 max. I may keep mine in my garage where I have electricity.Its a tough decision. Hopefully others will comment- maybe if it was in the breeds section it would get more attention

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Long coat Chihuahua in your avatar? Blonde? She/he looks just like my Chi-a-pom(1/2 LC Chi, 1/2 Pom)...Funny thing though even though she has pom in her, my LC Chihuahua had thicker fuller hair than her, hers is soft and fine and lays down.

ETA: Sorry I got off the subject, was just curious.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  4. Frizzledhen

Frizzledhen Spear Gunnin' Coons

Feb 17, 2007
    Michigan
    Thanks Priszilla. I will keep them in my basement over the winter. It stays right around 45 to 50 degrees. It is a walk out so there will be plenty of light and sunshine for them.

cthrash1, She is a long coat chihuahua. She is just a pup in the pix and her coat is much longer now. She is red and cream color. Some long coat chis have a double coat and some don't. Did you know that short coat chis shed twice as much as long coats? Short coat chis have twice the number of hair folicles as long coats. Having both, I know this for a fact. I would much rather pet the long coats during shedding than the short coats. Although, the short coats won't let me get away with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by