Serama pipped on wrong side - UPDATE - 3 of 6 and hatch is over :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cherlyn, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    I saw on here that another person's serama also pipped at the wrong end, and died. Anything I can do? No one else is pipped - should I quickly turn the egg over, or just leave him be? [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

ETA that the pip is not quite at the end of the egg, but not quite in the middle of it, either. Sort of between the two.

ETA that the little guy apparently decided to start over. He pipped again, closer to the top of the egg. Anyone had this happen before?

ETA that is he is out and quite happy to be so! We woke up to a happy little blondie. [​IMG] His brother/sister just made it out now - a BEAUTIFUL reddish blond color.

~Cherlyn

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  2. pax12

pax12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    PA
    mine hatched out with no help

3. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I would turn the eggs so that the pip is up..and I am crossing my finger that it hatches. I have had a few from time to time pip on the wrong end..mine drowned before hatching. Hope your comes on out to the egg.

4. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:Oh, good! [​IMG] Okee dokee.

~Cherlyn

5. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    I quickly turned it so that the pip is facing a bit more upward than before. I am using the egg carton method for all eggs except this one. This is the only one that has pipped. I have been rooting for this one especially - I dropped it a few days into incubating, and repaired it with candle wax. If it is still alive after the pip, then it is resting - I will look for movement and listen for chirps in an hour or so (and will play chirping noises from youtube in the meantime).

~Cherlyn

6. muddipuppy

muddipuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Mountain View, CA
    So if I am hatching seramas in a carton which way should they be facing at lockdown? sideways? air sac up?

7. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:With the egg carton method, I have the fat end of the egg up.

~Cherlyn

8. GaNewChick

GaNewChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    McDonough, Ga.
    But what if they try to pip on small end and its down in the carton. Why do some use the egg carton and some don't? What are the pros and cons of using an egg carton? I lay mine on their side.

9. Cherlyn

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Quote:Unfortunately I am not quite educated well enough to answer all of these questions. But I personally use it for stability - once chicks hatch, they cannot disturb the other eggs quite as much when the eggs are firmly set inside a carton space.

As for a pip on the small end, make sure you cut the bottoms out of the egg carton, to allow for better airflow. [​IMG]

~Cherlyn

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    In general carton use lowers the numbers of chicks that end up wrong way round, not eliminates but does lower it some.

I've done both and still do both depending on circumstance.

Chick and egg bumper cars is very useful to stimulate other chicks - it happens under a hen, though then it's more push and shove than roll. Many people who never assist get extremely high hatch rates in part because the allow bumper eggs to happen.

Some chicks are going to try the wrong way out no matter what you do. If you catch it you can place it pip up on it's side and hope.

It's just one of those wrong turns that happen in hatching. Like the ones that pip out through veins and die or the ones who come how manage to pip and tear their own yolksac on the way out.

Sometimes it is just not gonna work out.

You try, but you can't make any guarantees against the simple "it just happens" that happens in nature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by