Serama pullet -- Sudden loss of ability to walk?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilverPhoenix, Jan 20, 2011.

1. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I have an adorable little black-and-white mottled serama pullet named Magpie who suddenly lost her ability to walk. She is a few months old and was living in a pen in my house with a few other seramas her age up until a few days ago, and I just transitioned her outdoors. She and her three hatchmates were doing just fine with the other seramas and enjoying the outdoors, and then suddenly I found her in the henhouse unable to walk. She eats and drinks well, has no visible injuries, and her toes are not curled. She is sitting on her elbow joints more or less and they're getting red from the pressure. Her legs are held somewhat stiff underneath her, but I can stretch them normally. Then they snap back into their previous position once I let go. She cannot stand up. She keeps her wings somewhat outspread when sitting there to keep her balance. Her eyes are clear, she otherwise seems healthy, her hatchmates that were exposed to the exact same everything are fine, and I'm just baffled here!

For now I have her indoors on a heating pad, eating one or two whole hard-boiled quail eggs a day (including the shell) as well as the usual Flock Raiser. I'm planning on getting some Polyvisol and plain yogurt, and she's going to tag along to the vet's today because I'm bringing in some wildlife I'm rehabbing anyway, but I'd love all the suggestions I can get. I really don't want to lose her... She is absolutely darling and I'm quite attached. [​IMG] What could be causing this so suddenly, and how can I treat it?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you but I hope you can find out and get her on the road to recovery..

3. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Thank you, Miss Lydia. I'm really hoping for the best. I started her on some multivitamins and vitamin E, plus yogurt and honey in addition to the whole quail eggs and shells. I really want her to pull through... It's going to break my heart if she doesn't make it. [​IMG]

4. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
  5. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:Yes, I have, and sadly I can't rule it out! I'm hoping it might not be, especially because so far little Magpie is so bright and alert and eating well, but... [​IMG] I'll do some more reading and see what I come up with.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    could you cut some thin bandaids to cushion where her legs are getting red, to prevent further trauma. I know with tiny chicks sometimes they are put in a cup to hold them upright when they can't stand. Older birds sometimes are helped if you can manage some type of sling to keep weight off their joints. I'm subscribing to this and hope your vet can be helpful.

7. msdoolittle

msdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Well, let's hope for the best! I hope that isn't the case.

8. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I am reading up more on Marek's, and while I am not resigning myself completely it is worrisome! It seems to be the most likely culprit for such sudden leg paralysis (especially considering her age range), and now I'm wondering if her wings are starting to go, too. Someone on the forum recommended hypericum as a homeopathic treatment, so I may start trying that tomorrow.

Everyone please think good thoughts for Magpie... I really want for her to pull through this! [​IMG] I'm trying not to get too emotional about the whole thing but I can't help but be rather upset. I just love this little pullet so much!

9. SilverPhoenix

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Quote:Yeah, I'm thinking of fashioning a sling for her to keep her more comfortable. For now she's in soft towels and her joints aren't as red as they were yesterday. I'm being very careful to make sure she's comfortable. Poor little thing is being treated like a princess!

10. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    I hope she gets better. she is younger than my hen when this happen to her, sudden inability to stand/walk, but otherwise fine. I read here to give her vitamin B12 and vitamin E in her food , took about 10 days before she could walk, but she has been fine now for over 8 months. in a younger hen it could be Marke's, but they can survive that too, but will remaine a carrier, thus infecting others in her flock. I think it is worth a try with the vitamins, they will help her survive whatever it is and if it is just a vitamin deficiency then she will get better. always the favorite, as was mine, she is so sweet I just could not cull her and I'm glad I did not. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by