Serama Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sushi, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Sushi

Sushi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    I have a serama chick that is about half the size of the rest. I weighed it yesterday and it came up at 44 grams, or about 1.5 oz. It is about 3 weeks old. How big do you think this little guy will mature to? I am not sure of the gender of it.

2. edgarmongold

edgarmongold Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:The size you want to be trying to breed for in American Serama are:

16 oz Cock, 14 oz Hen, 14 oz Cockerel and 12 oz Pullet

The wee tiny ones have trouble with ferility and lay ability and usually do not live very long.

3. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    The tiniest ones are usually also lacking in type.

4. Sushi

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    Uh, thanks guys, but that doesn't answer my question at all.

Anyone have any idea of figuring out how big this chick will grow to?

5. bigb-71

bigb-71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Ceder ridge CA
    most the time if they are really small they will be micro's or A bird's so it will probley be around 325 grams or less does that help at all ?
    Quote:

6. Sushi

Mar 31, 2010
    Michigan
    That's more helpful, yes. Is there anything along the lines of a growth chart for serama breeders? I know with dogs, for a lot of breeds, particularly the tiny ones, there are growth charts that list weights @ certain ages and what size you can expect them to grow to.

7. LAseramas KP

LAseramas KP Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    LA , SoCal
    Quote:what no way the smaller one have better type what are you talking about ?????

8. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Quote:what no way the smaller one have better type what are you talking about ?????

I believe that the word "lacking" means the opposite of what you think it does.

Anyway, my limited experience has shown me that the smaller ones stay smaller, but there are too many variables to determine the full grown size of a chick. Genetics, feed (amount, type, and quality), activity, even the time of year the chick was hatched plays a part in the adult weight of a bird.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  9. UtterOblivion

UtterOblivion Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2013
    Oregon
    I also have a small chick that weighs 1.5 oz at 3 weeks. It is a little cockerel. It is frizzled too! Except for one little pullet (she weighed 1.20 oz at 3 weeks) he is my smallest out of 2 clutches totaling 20 chicks. I have a growth chart I have kept of all my chicks (weighed weekly) that I posted in response to a thread about Serama chick"s age and weight. Send me a message if you would like me to send a copy for you to view.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by