Serama respiratory and vaccinations

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amyjaneowen, Jan 7, 2015.

1. amyjaneowen

amyjaneowen New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    Marion Indiana
    I have a serama rooster sounds hoarse and he seems to be congested and sneezing or making some sort of noise and when he sleeps he sounds like he is wheezing. I have used humidifier and it does not see my help any. Can seramas be vaccinated ?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    If you can't take him to a vet you could try antibiotics. If he were mine and I thought it was a bacterial infection I would give him Baytril orally or by injection at 15-20mg/kg once a day for no more than five days.

Baytril is banned for use in poultry, so read up on it and decide if it's something you want to use.
    http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/83/i32/8332baytril.html

-Kathy

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  4. amyjaneowen

amyjaneowen New Egg

Apr 25, 2013
    Marion Indiana
    Thank you I live in small county and the vets do not see farm animals may have to take him Indianapolis or Fort wayne

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Forgot to say "Welcome to BYC!"

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by