Serama roo 1st Neon green poop/listless, labored congested breath for 2 wks -Tylan didn't work-

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by outdoorsii, Oct 25, 2013.

1. outdoorsii

outdoorsii Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2012
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    My roo (2.5 yrs) has been listless, droopy body/comb, hardly moving, hasn't crowed for the 2 wks almost...

It all started when I noticed him up on the roost 1 day & I don't think he came down at all b/c underneath him was ALOT of poop, like neon green (which I know can mean they're dehydrated....), there was 1 spot with blood in it, but none since. Ever since I brought him inside his droppings are more normal now...so I think I fixed the dehydrated issue, I have electrolyte water in him & feeding him egg yolks & crumbles.

I've given him multiple shots of LA200 (.5cc/mL) every other day - 3x's & switched to Tylan50 1cc a day after that-- usually 2 shots clear up all respitory infections. I've NEVER had a chicken this sick for SO long & still survive - breathings labored, congested & past few days his combs actually gotten darker on tips (which I know can mean a heart/liver issue & its drooping more seems like) PLUS his right side of his body where we gave the injections (we switched sides every time of course) is now really yellow colored - like jaundice in humans or something...(which also could mean kidney/liver issues i'm assuming)

He's been inside the past week since its cooled off outside (down to low 50's high 40's) - the only thing I can think of that I've done a tid diff lately was right before he started actin sick - I Sevin dusted all my chickens in his coop & the 1 next to them & around the nest boxes/roosts/etc...I also use DE every once in a while, he had mites a few months ago but that all cleared up & none of the other chickens are showing ANY signs of being sick at all...everyone that was near him is fine...*knock on wood*

I have some Sulmet & Corid but I haven't given him any of that b/c I've dealt with Cocci before & they've always gotten better & I was going to use it but since there was only 1 blood spot I didn't. If he makes it tonight I'll probably try that tomorrow, his last antibiotic shot was almost 5 days ago...obviously its not something that these antibiotics can fix...which makes me thinks its Viral :( or fungal :(

Anyone have any ideas? I don't really have the money to take it to an avian vet & we really don't have 1 around this area anyway. He doesn't have pox - I've already looked into that - I've looked into almost everything. I've dealt with many sick chickens with all kinds of things over the past 3 yrs. & they have either died have died by now or gotten better...its never lingered this long... :([​IMG]

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like your rooster has a viral respiratory disease, which can't be treated with antibiotics. The only thing you can do with viral diseases, other than treat for a secondary infection, is to give supportive care (good food, warmth, vitamins, etc.) to the bird and hope its body can fight the disease off. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like your rooster is showing signs of improvement--if he doesn't get better soon, it may be more humane to cull him.

The green droppings can be because of dehydration, or because he isn't eating enough. The fact that his comb is getting purple means that he either has heart problems, or is having difficulty breathing. I suspect that the discoloration near the injection site is due to the antibiotics--I've heard that Tylan injections make the area painful, and can even cause the tissue to become necrotic.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I've never had ANY problems with using tylan injectable. In fact its saved my birds life more than once. NO neurtroic tissue NO problems in the injection site at all EVER!! If the bird does have a viral infection antibotics can't help a viral HOWEVER, antibotics CAN prevent a secondary infection which also can accompany a viral illness. I've personally had excellent results using tylan 50 for respitory symptoms. Perhaps it stopped any secondary infection from appearing. I've always used 1/2 cc for large birds and 1/4 cc for small birds .injection given in the breast muscle once daily for 5 days. Ive used tylan which is the antibotic tylosin MANY times. NEVER had I had trouble with the injection site nor have I had ANY neurtroic tissue. Its been a very good antibotic for me and many other poultry owners.

4. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    I've never had any problems with Tylan injections either, but many sources that I've read warn against necrotic tissue, muscle damage, etc. And I, too, have had great success with Tylan50 injections--they probably saved the life of one of my bantam cocks.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes it has saved my birds too. That's interesting I've not heard of anything so negative related to injections for poultry using Tylan. Im quite interested in reading the article you read about that. Could you please provide a link to the article so I may read it? I always use small diabetic needles when injecting my
    chickens im wondering if the neurcosis that they are
    referring to could be caused from the needle instead
    of actually being caused from the tylan itself.
    Interesting..tylan and baytril have always been my two major antibotics used. I swear by it. It had defiently saved many a life for me without EVER causing neurcosis or any apparent side effects. Please send over that article because I would love to read it. Thank you kindly.

6. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, actually it was another BYCer who told me about the necrotic tissue--apparently, it happened to one of their birds. The information about it causing pain and muscle damage came from the PoultryPedia medicine chart:https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

This is the exact quote:

May cause pain at injection site & gastro-intestinal disturbance. Birds may be reluctant to eat or move very much.
    * Injectible can cause minor damage to breast muscle. May be best to split dose up & inject into more than one site. Not recommended for meat birds.

I remember reading something similar somewhere else, but I don't remember where. I'm sorry about that...

I really don't know whether what I've read/heard is true or not. I just make sure to use a small needle and alternate which side of the breast that I inject into, to be on the safe side.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by