Serama roo can't crow/sneezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheFarmMama, Jul 19, 2010.

1. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Songster

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    I have a 1yr old Serama roo that seems to have a cold. He shakes his head, sneezes sometimes, and sounds very hoarse when he's attempting to crow. Usually he's my loudest. You can see him open and close his mouth sometimes and hear the congestion once in awhile. I've been using VetRX and it helps some but it's not making it go away. His little comb is turning purple in the back from time to time. It seemed like it started after the AC had to kick on more frequently (my Seramas stay inside) but the hen inside his pen is perfectly fine so I'm assuming it's not contagious since he's been this way about a week and a half. It isn't getting any worse, just not better either. Also he eats, drinks, flies around and acts perfectly normal aside from above.

I'm headed to the feed store here in a bit. Can anyone tell me what I should get for him? I'm really nervous about giving injections so I'd prefer to do something via the mouth or water. I can get Tylan injectible or tablets for sure and probably Terramycin. Our store is somewhat limited on meds unfortunately. Thanks in advance yall. I appreciate it.

2. gurooh

gurooh Songster

Apr 9, 2008
    New York
    Quote:If you have a vet near you, bring him to it. He could have one of a number of respiratory infections. Terramycin might work, but I don't know.

3. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Songster

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    That's the prob, only vets are 2hrs away. He's not acting like it's overly serious, no runny nose or anything like that. I listened to his chest with my stethoscope and he sounded clear, mostly like it's in his throat/nose area.

4. I hope he's ok!
    My BLRW roo lost his voice last month. He was acting normal aside from that, but then dropped over dead! I loved him and miss him, and still wonder what happened. I hate to be depressing, but its better than getting your hopes up. I asked a very similar question and most everyone said he'd probably be fine. I hope your story ends more happily. The world is already short on wonderful roosters, it would be a shame to loose another.

5. elmo

elmo Songster

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    The purple at the back of his comb is nothing to worry about. That's just a sign that his testosterone levels are surging, normal for a healthy rooster. About the other symptoms, sorry I don't know.

6. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Songster

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Tamra-you're certainly right about that. I'm sorry to hear of your loss. This guy is a show quality roo and we paid a pretty penny for him but even more importantly than that he's an absolutely LOVE BUG and just precious so it'd break my heart to lose him. I think it's just a little congestion but I'd like to find a way to rid him of it so he can be comfortable!

Elmo-WOW, thanks so much for that comment-I never knew that. I've seen my other roos do that before but then go right back to red and never thought twice about it. Very interesting [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by