serama rooster passed away - need help with what happened

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hypnofrogstevie, Nov 18, 2008.

1. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    He is indoors where the house is nice and cozy. Sometime last night he passed away. His comb looks to have frostbite but how did he get it? I was thinking his comb got wet and he got it that way? He is 5 years old. This year really blows. I dont have any good luck. On top of this his girlfriend had an egg in the cage and it was smashed. There goes my hope for a new rooster. If anyone knows who will have any cheap eggs next year please, please, please let me know.

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    I'm not sure what happened but I am sorry you lost him. I lost a rooster this summer so I know how you feel.

3. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    hypnofrogstevie Sorry to hear about your rooster. I had one lost to predators this year myself but I have his sons. I hatched all eggs from the hens that were with him at that time. They stay fertile for about 18 days or so after the "event". Maybe you can get one that way also?

4. eeiko321

eeiko321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:well if the chicken froze to death...the most tender part is the comb.....

i recommend to get some vasaline or patrolium jelly and rub it inot the comb...
    it keeps them warm....
    try that

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

His comb looks to have frostbite but how did he get it?

What do you mean? Was it just blue or ... ?​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by