Serama rooster unresponsive

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Flowerbh, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    Daughter played with her young serama rooster last night. He was doing great. This morning he is laying in the corner half dead. He is an indoor chicken with only one female with him. No way to get bad food, water, etc. Any ideas?

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Is it possible he might have been stepped on or squeezed too hard? Is his comb discolored? How is his breathing? Look inside his mouth for any obstruction.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Can you take him to a vet?

-Kathy

4. Flowerbh

Flowerbh Overrun With Chickens

Mar 24, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    Sorry, I should have clarified... Daughter is 30 and owns the rooster. She is a first time chicken owner and is really taking this roosters illness hard. She loves all animals and is desperate to make it better. Comb seems to be lighter than it should be. Interesting is that one side of his wattles seems to be withered up while the other side is longer and normal looking. Stroke? Seems too young for that....only 3-4 months old.

I have had chickens for two years and know that you can lose them for all sorts of reasons. I lost 8 in one month last summer! 6 to a bear in one night, and two to hawks! So sad. Had one die later of impacted crop. (I was out of town and had a friend watching the chickens. I knew what was wrong, but what could my friend do? She had no experience with them) I had one die sitting on the nest. Went in to gather eggs and she was dead! Young bird, too. I hope this one doesn't die....she will take it hard.

She is having a friend come over to help hold the chicken while she looks in it's mouth. She lives near a tractor supply if we think it needs antibiotics. Still trying to figure out what it is. Thanks for your response.

5. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check to make sure he has not been losing weight,feel the keel bone. Check his crop,make sure there are no issues. Withered wattle,check skin around eyes,does it appear wrinkled,do his eyes have a shrunken appearance? Could he be dehydrated?

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Was he vaccinated for Marek's?

-Kathy

7. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How hot has it been?

Edit,checked the temp in your area and it is not hot,i was ruling out heat stress.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  8. Lindseyblair24

Lindseyblair24 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Loudoun Co, VA
    Hello, I'm the daughter....

So I finally got him to drink some water with a bit of sugar in it.... He's taken the sips on his own. I can't get him to eat anything. I made some scrambled eggs and also dampened some of his crumble. He is super lethargic and has only been opening his eyes briefly. I am keeping him warm.

I wanted to clarify some of his symptoms.... His waddles are normal colored but one did seem a bit more shriveled than usual... Although one has always been a little shorter. He's about 12 weeks old. His crop seems fine. I don't really feel anything in it. Eyes seem normal.

Main ing is he is super lethargic and unresponsive (except for the recent drinks of water).....

Suggestions?

9. Lindseyblair24

Lindseyblair24 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 17, 2013
    Loudoun Co, VA

Hi, what am I looking for with the keel bone? I don't think he's been losing weight. He is still growing and seems as big as ever. One wattle seems a little shriveled, eyes seem normal... Is now drinking some sugar water every few minutes...

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    At 12 weeks, he could still easily have coccidiosis. It may be too late to treat him if he is unresponsive, but Corid (amprollium) is the treatment. Dosage is 2 tsp liquid in 1 gallon of water for 5 days. Since he is not doing well or drinking much, I would take a few drops of the UNDILUTED Corid from the bottle and try to dropper it into his beak to swallow. Be careful, and just do a drop or two at a time, because he could choke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by