Serama sizes

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by brijay2, Dec 5, 2011.

1. brijay2

brijay2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    For those of you with Seramas: can you tell if they are A or B size when they are very young? I have only two that hatched and one is quite a bit larger than the other. I also have two that I got as chicks and they are a mystery as far as size. I know that they are a month old and smaller than the silkie chicks that are 3 wks old. Do I need to wait until they are so many weeks old to weigh them?[​IMG]

2. brijay2

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    anyone????[​IMG]

3. ladydoc1992

ladydoc1992 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Hartsville, SC
    Hi there brijay2!
    You can't really tell what size the chick will grow up to be. Some serama hens lay really tiny eggs that hatch out to be really tiny chicks, but grow to be normal size seramas. I have 2 identical sister hens that lay very different sizes of eggs.
    If the momma serama(hey, that rhymes! lol) is very large or very small, chicks may grow to her size. Same possibility with daddy serama. Have you seen the parents of your chicks..that is the best indicator of how they will turn out.
    Reguardless of size, aren't they just the cutest things ever!!
    Be warned...Seramas are addictive!

4. brijay2

Jun 16, 2009
    Waddell AZ
    I love them!!! They are very addictive and I have more in the incubator now working towards the NYD hatch!!! They are the cutest little things!!![​IMG]

5. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I agree with LadyDoc.

I had two little Seramas (hen and roo) that were inseperable until one day when one of my dogs chased the hen into the woods. We searched for three hours for her and never found her. [​IMG]

Fortunately, I had set aside five eggs from her. I placed those in my incubator and now I have four more hen chicks and one very tiny rooster chick. They're only three months old right now.

Seramas are the cutest! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by