Serama vs. OEG

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TurtleFeathers, Apr 19, 2009.

1. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Hi all - I hope I'm posting this question in the right place:

Can anyone tell me the OBVIOUS differenc(es) between a serama and an OEG? And how can one identify a cross?

I have 10 serama chicks here that came to me as eggs from 3 different sources (2 on eBay and 1 was a BYC member). 5 of them are almost 3 months old, and 5 are 6 weeks old. I have no reason to doubt that these are anything but seramas - its just that I've been reading where OEG's and OEG mixes are sometimes sold as seramas, and was just wondering how to tell the difference for future reference. I only started out with chickens last fall (silkies), and these are the first seramas I've ever seen/kept, so I don't have a real experienced eye.

Thanks so much -

Kathy

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Hey! Well, I dont know a lot about OEG's, but if you go look at these pages, you can see the difference in stance and type.
    There are lots of great pictures of both breeds.
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sri/BRKSri.html

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Games/GameBantams/BRKOEGBantams2.html

Seramas have vertical wings and a short back. They should have a round "apple" breast. They hold their tails high, and should come up right behind their body. They sort of have a "V" shape. They are also a very docile bird with great personality. There is an article that explains it better if you are interested!

http://backyardchickens.com/?p=41

I just hope that anyone buying Seramas ....or any other breed, remembers to do the research and educate yourself on what to look for in that breeds type.
    Ask for up close pictures of breeders.

I contacted a lady in KY once about buying some birds. She sold Serama eggs for up to 40 dollars on Ebay. She sent me a distant picture of all the birds loose, so you couldn't really see them well. She said that her scales were broken, but they were all B class. When we got there none of them had Serama type and they were all over twice the size of what a Serama should be. We drove 3 hours to get there. Now I know what to ask! Good luck with your birds! They are great!!

3. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:Great info!

4. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    best way is to buy from a reputable breeder. If you are still questioning post some pictures and we can help.. . P.s My avatar is a serama

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  5. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    I was going to post pics, but I can't remember how (its been a while)! I do remember it was rather complicated tho...

I'm not necessarily questioning the seramas I have now, but more for if I decide to purchase any more - or for when my friend goes to the Amish market and swears she came home with an A class serama (but the seller didn't know what they were or anything about them, except that they wouldn't get any bigger than they already were).

I got my seramas from kbbeale on BYC, and seramasun and tinkertoyyorkies on eBay. They're just youngsters (some are 10-11 weeks and some are 5-6 weeks), so they don't look like the ones I see pics of - YET anyway. I mean, they do, but they don't - they don't have the mature feathering yet, some of their faces are just now turning red, and the youngest ones don't even have combs yet.

Thanks -

Kathy

6. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Hey Kathy!
    Give them time. You should be able to really tell by 4-5 months. Just keep studying type, and you'll be a pro in no time and be able to tell which birds are the best and which birds are really culls.
    Im gonna keep an eye out for the OEG thing. I swear I saw a "Serama" on here yesterday, that looked more like an OEG! I didnt want to be rude and question their little pet's ancestry.

Pictures are pretty easy if you use photobucket. Plug your camera in to your compu, download the pics to a folder where you can find them. Go to Photobucket.com and get an account. It will say "Browse" for pics, when you get ready to put a pic on the internet, find the one you want from your folder, and it will upload. Then just click on the picture you want to send here, and at the bottom will be four links.Think they say: Email, Direct Link, HTML and IMG. You will want to use the last one that should be IMG? It puts an image up for you. This may not be exact, but its easy to figure out.
    Good luck, would love to see your babies!

7. spoolin

spoolin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    don't want to steal your post. but are they loud, which is quietest?

8. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Quote:Have had both and my seramas are much quieter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by