Squeak61

Songster
5 Years
May 22, 2017
Connecticut
Hi everyone, my serama rooster has an upper respiratory tract infection and I’m not sure what dosage of Tylan 50 would be safe for him. He’s so small that I don’t know if injections would be safe. Would administering it orally be a safer bet? His comb and wattles are a bit purple and he is breathing solely out of his mouth. He also feels a bit lighter in weight. He’s had a URI for a few days, but he spiked today. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks

Hi everyone, my serama rooster has an upper respiratory tract infection and I’m not sure what dosage of Tylan 50 would be safe for him. He’s so small that I don’t know if injections would be safe. Would administering it orally be a safer bet? His comb and wattles are a bit purple and he is breathing solely out of his mouth. He also feels a bit lighter in weight. He’s had a URI for a few days, but he spiked today. Please let me know your thoughts, thanks
If he is still drinking use an oral dose. When I tried using a syringe with serama they often died in a short time. Serama need to be treated as soon as a problem is noticed and possibly you did. Waiting vastly reduces their chance of recovery.

I found the below online-
Oct 18, 2018 · According to a vet on a chicken Facebook, page the Tylan 50 dose is 0.2 ml per pound every 6-8 hours. According to the makers of Tylan the Tylan Soluble dose is 50 mg per pound per day. Tylan injectable can cause injection site necrosis and the one time I used it this happened, so if I use it again I will give it orally.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom