Serama

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LuannKeller, Jul 5, 2008.

1. LuannKeller

LuannKeller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    I am working with Serama and trying to connect to other Serama breeders - particularly in SC NC GA.

I am raising Serama and Silkied Serama.

2. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have a pair that look quite similar to the pair in your avatar. A friend of mine has a silkie pair (nice) and a nice black female and a black and red male that is too big.
    There is one otheer person inour club that has a trio of small Seramas, they are all the same color. I think black and tan. I am not sure of the lineage of those.
    My friend and me got ours from Frank.

Well we are al l in west central Wisconsin.

Maybe you can answer for me a question about my male Napoleon. Guess how he got his name? [​IMG] He is very sexually active and very high strung, is this normal?

ETA: as of yesterday he is separated in his own cage. But even bring a female in the same room and he becomes extremely aggitated

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  3. LuannKeller

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    In my experience they do mature quickly - particularly the little fellows. They do settle down after they mature a bit. He's a randy teenager so hang in there. I do often put them completely alone when they are going through that stage. They are hard on boys and girls until they are done with that stage.

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Oh thanks thats a relief

I also thought of TommyVT in California and his friend, they have the Jerry S lines I think. But these are all long ways away from you.

I dont know if I would mail a bird or not, what if it got lost?

5. Hi Luann!
    I got my Serama hens and several cockerels from Marty in Batesburg-Leesville.
    I can't decide whether the breed really does anything for me. I hatched many chicks from the 2 hens with a neat-looking crele Ser' roo and got some nice tiny birds --- but I can't get beyond 'color'.
    All the girls I've hatched are some form of brown/tan and I just don't care for brown/tan hens.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. LuannKeller

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    I took one of Marty's barred roos to a black hen and made a very cute barred hen. I bought Marty's blacks and most of the rest of what he was working on when his allergies made him get out of Serama. Since you are in SC maybe I could get you some colors that you find more interesting. If you want to come to my place and pick out some projects, I would love to give you some colors that are more interesting. I am working on lacing and I see some promising young birds in that pattern. I have some spangling too if that is interesting to you - love that sp. hamburg look! I have mottles, duns (carmel & white), some red, some brown, some wheaton, some white....surely we can find a variety you can get excited about.

7. gessieviolet

gessieviolet Chillin' With My Peeps

Just hatched my first serama chicks this weekend!! I'm so excited. From 31 eggs so far I have 6 live hatched with a couple more pipping; I'm hoping for at least 8 chicks. I am rather surprised at how large the chicks seem to be. To be the world's smallest chicken, I had assumed I could expect very small babies, mine are a little smaller than bantam I have hatched. I became fascinated with serama because of their size; I had never heard of them. Can't wait to watch them grow!!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  8. LuannKeller

Apr 17, 2008
    Greer, SC USA
    I hope you got some from a good source. There is an ebay seller who sells Serama eggs from 2 pound serama - bigger than most bantamsm, and well above the standard weight for Serama. Ask your egg supplier how big the parents are - that will give you an indication of what size they should finish at.

Serama boys should be 1 pound and girls just a bit less when fully mature.

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I have a male Serama about 8 weeks old. He is a C sized but the baby orps I just got are bigger then he is already and they are three weeks old. I got other B sized Serama's in the bator right now which are offspring to a nice B sized pair from a friend of mine. She got her trio at a show. They placed well [​IMG] can't wait until the 11th! hope they all make it! My goal is to have a pair/trio of them. So far I have one! On the 11th I find out if I reach my goal [​IMG]

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:THAT IS BIG! Orps are 2 lbs, the males, I know I have two females but rehomed my males

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by