1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seramas Amaze me -- Update from Last night

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by happybooker1, Jan 20, 2013.

1. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    I have 15 Bantams ~12 weeks old that were raised together. I later got 4 Serama chicks which are now 7 or 8 weeks old. And less than 1/2 the size of my Bantams.

Yesterday was the first night out for the Seramas. I had to leave for a few hours and when I got back about 45 minutes after the flock *should* have been in the coop -- No Seramas. I looked in all the brush piles, up and down the fence lines, etc. for a good 25 minutes with a flashlight. No sign of Seramas. No noise, nothing.

Well, I figured something had already eaten them (although no signs of blood/feathers) or they were holed up REALLY good for the night. I hoped I'd see them again this morning and started to shut up the coop windows. As I did up the first one, I heard a very tiny noise from above my head.

Looking up I found the 4 Seramas (mind you -- they're about the size of a Coke can!) ON the coop's metal roof. Which is over 7' up in the air. WITH a 8" overhang all around the coop top. How they got all the way up there I have no idea. But there they were. I had to get the step stool and 'rescue' them. Luckily they were huddled right near the edge -- not in the middle where I couldn't reach them.

We'll see what happens tonight. I *hope* they go inside the coop like nice little chickies. However......

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Lol! We had a bantam roo that was the same size as a serama (the size of a COKE CAN!) and he would fly up into the rafters of the barn, 8 feet up in the air. All of our sebrights can do the same. XD

3. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Love my Seramas! I've had some that could actually fly pretty far distances, and jump high too. My little roo can easily jump over the 5 foot fence we have around the perimeter onto my arm.

4. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    That's a great story. Maybe you can clip their wings if you don't want them to escape the run.

I have Serama X Japanese Bantams all the hens are great at flying. When they were younger a dog frightened them and they spent the next few days flying around my neighbourhood. They are able to fly like real birds - even up and over the house roof!

They have calmed down a lot now they are older, but the hens still like to fly up to tall trees at the back of my property - which means they have to fly onto a 6 foot wall and they over a wide stream.

[​IMG]

5. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    How hard is it to clip wings? Although I'm not sure they wouldn't be OK doing what they did last night.

We got home late (AGAIN!) and I told son to look on top of the coop for the Seramas. Not there. Then he shined the light into the little tree in back of the coop and there they were!! About 15' up in the tree all cuddled on the branch. We're having nights only down into the 50's right now so they weren't in danger of freezing. Besides we couldn't have reached them even with the ladder.

They were down bright and early this morning. What could hurt them in the trees? We have raccoons and possoms occassionally but I haven't seen any around this winter at all. Maybe it's because my yard with the dogs is only about 20' from the coop building? I would LIKE for the Seramas to be IN the coop, but would they be kinda safe up in the trees?

And how do you clip wings???!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by