Serama's and Silkies

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by veggielizard, Oct 12, 2015.

1. veggielizard

veggielizard Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Looking to expand my flock with some smaller breeds. I wanted to make a chicken tractor with 4-6 hens. My daughter is in 4H and I think we have decided to try out some silkies and seramas. Has anyone mixed these two together? I know they are not very cold tolerant, we live near Seattle so doesn't get too cold most days. At what temp do they need a heat lamp? Also, anyone know of a local breeder? Last question - we are new to APA standards for showing- any direction you can give on what to look for/avoid in these breeds would be great! TIA

2. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! [​IMG] I'm in the process of researching the serama breed as well. I'm NO expert for sure! I've been told that they don't care to be below 40 deg F and that gentle temperament is part of the breed standard. Sounds to me like a great breed for a 4-H project. Here's a link where I found a wealth of information.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=serama+
    Keep me posted!

3. veggielizard

veggielizard Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2015
    Thank you for the link! Still researching, but looks like the serama's might be a bit too aggressive to put with silkies? Need to go to a breeders show and ask some questions!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by