1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seramas as meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Croamagna, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Croamagna

Croamagna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2013
    The Republic of Texas
    I know it seems strange that the world's smallest chicken would be considered as a meat bird but here is my idea. I would compare them to a quail. The main difference being that seramas breed like rabbits without help of an incubator. So a flock of small delicacy birds that would be hardier in my experience as well as being able to raise their own chicks. My only question is has anyone actually eaten one? Are they edible or is there enough meat to make it worth it? With the pronounced breast muscles it would seem that with a little selective breeding it might be fairly easy to develope a meat serama flock especially using the ones that hatch out to big for serama standards.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Well silkies, which aren't much bigger, are a big hit as a meat bird in some communities.
    I always say that if a raccoon can find meat on one, so can I.

Meat quality, not just quantity, is another consideration.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2016
  3. Croamagna

Croamagna Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2013
    The Republic of Texas
    That's why I wondered if anyone had tried one before. If it is on par with quail than it would be worth it. If it's too tough as they mature very early or just plain doesn't taste good than no go.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they mature early, the meat will be less tough. Cooking procedure will alleviate some problems.

I only know one person that had seramas and I think they died of old age so she didn't eat them.
    I'm sure if you search on here you'll find serama breeders that eat extra cockerels and can answer this question.

5. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Ive eaten seramas before not much meat but still meat on them taste the same as any other bird

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by