Seramas-do you really know what a Serama is???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by High Roost Ranch, Oct 19, 2009.

1. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Here's a couple of links for people who are trying to learn what a true and correct Serama is, whether you call it a Malaysian Serama, an American Serama or a Serama bantam. Check out the links if this breed interests you and learn about them before buying eggs or stock and end up with something you weren't expecting.

Ondra's Seramas has a very good article that can be found here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=23256

And I've added one that can be found here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=19809-what-is-a-malaysian-serama

Both Ondra and I have taken the time to do this. I hope adding these direct links helps those who are trying to learn about the breed.

A serama is a living work of art. Anything less than that and you just have a bantam chicken. If you have specific questions, either of us would be more than happy to help answer them.

Julie

2. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i am thrilled that you chose a picture of one of my roos, i was so surprised when i got to his picture!
    very good articles as well

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  3. jerschex

jerschex Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    outside New Orleans
    Thanks Julie & Ondra. It's time we set the record straight. For the past 8 years the serama has been maligned by a variety of individuals seeking to make a buck. This is evident by the so called serama offered for sale on the auction sites, the majority are crosses, serama with old english and or japanese bantams. Before anyone buys these, so called serama, visit the www.scnaonline.org web site and see what a serama should look like. By all means avoid the eggs offered there, the hatch rate on shipped serama eggs is low, at best 5-10% and you're lucky if you get serama, I know some who incubated these serama eggs and hatched bob white quail. Same with all these imitation serama clubs, all started by former members of SCNA, with egos bigger than their brains. They tout this and that, but we never see their birds, they have never put on a show, all talk, no action. Everyone is invited to the Ohio National, Columbus, second week in November. There the SCNA will hold it's 7th Annual Serama National. Come out and see hundreds of real serama, judged Malaysian Style, Table Top, where each bird is brought before a judge, evaluated and assigned a score. This method of judging is unique to the serama and seldom used outside of Malaysia, but is the highlight of SCNA sanctioned shows.

4. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

Which roo is yours? He must be in Ondra's article. [​IMG]

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Thank you Julie and Ondra! Very well written!

6. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Quote:Hi Julie! It is the last picture of the super nice roo on Ondra's page.

Great job both of you! Im going to be directing people to your page now too Julie when I use Ondra's! I hope to have one soon if I ever get time to figure out how to make a page... Im slightly computer illiterate sometimes so It would have to be user friendly! [​IMG]

7. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Yours is great! Thanks for posting mine!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  8. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    my father doesnt go on line so i printed it up for him, he is very happy to have something to refer back too, great idea

9. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    very nice! ill tab these links!

10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    When my daughter and I talk about Seramas we call them soldier-chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by