Serama's - Hens or Roosters???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by smoothmule, Aug 30, 2009.

1. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    At 50 days old, can someone here tell me if I have roosters or hen Seramas?
    [​IMG]

2. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I'm keeping this little Serama whether a rooster or a hen [​IMG] I'd love it if they were both hens.

[​IMG]

3. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Just for fun, here is the size difference in my littlest serama chick (lil yellow baby)and my Americauna/Maran cross (tall fuzzy chick) chick. They were hatched the same day [​IMG]

They "LOVE" their hamster waterer. It's the cleanest, easiest, cheapest way I've ever found to water my chicks. I keep 2 or 3 full and they suck them dry and climb over each other like calves to a bottle when I refill them.

[​IMG]

4. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    both look like roos to me but I don't have any Seramas so just a guess

5. ems_chick

ems_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Morganton, GA
    both roos from what i see [​IMG]

6. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Thanks for the replies. I just wasn't certain. I looked at some online photo's of hen's/roosters and wondered. I noticed some of the hens had fair sized combs and some roosters with very tall combs. I know they're young but wondered since they mature earlier than other chickens I thought I might be wrong. I am selling the black one and keeping the tan one then.

I'm really hoping the younger one is a hen then, but if not, I'll keep it long enough to decide if it's better in type and keep the better one and buy a couple hens. They don't fuss or fight with each other so I was hopeful they might be hens.

7. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:is the younger one the white one?

can u post a better pic of her for me?

8. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    Both of the one's feathered out are evidently roosters. The little one is 3 and a half weeks old. It's the one with the "giant" black chick.
    Here's a better picture. What do you think? Too young to tell? These 2 were hatched the same day [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  9. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    I can try to get a better picture tomorrow of the little guy/girl

10. smoothmule

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    It's dark but they're under their light so I snapped one. The color is off but you can see the face/comb. At nearly a month old, does this look like a hen? or can I expect there may be a sudden development of a comb later? I need to go back and look over my pics of the 2 little roosters.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by