1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

seramas in the cold

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Akane, Dec 10, 2009.

1. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    So it hit -5 last night with my seramas in an 8x8 coop that is not insulated, although it has both plywood and metal siding, with a single heat lamp hanging up high and a large vent in the ceiling are still alive. Not even some frostbite and only a little shivering last night then they ate lots of food this morning and acted like normal. This solves the question I had of whether seramas can actually survive cold weather. No one gave me a straight answer and several said only down to 20s F. Most of them hatched from eggs shipped from texas so it's not like I got a strain bred up here and then I have a few from 2 other sources from entirely different parts of the US. They just spent a month on the screened porch with plastic up and then a month in the coop before our really cold weather hit. Actually they appear to be doing better than my japanese bantams. Seramas can handle cold if acclimated to it.

2. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I understand that petroleum jelly on their combs and wattles help protect against frostbite...........
    and it makes them look real pretty!

3. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Mine are on wire, so I'm not taking any chances. [​IMG] They get to keep their heat lamp. It was 12 degrees when I got up this morning.

4. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    it has been -5 where i live at night as well the past few days, all my bantams are fine and most do not have heat lamps in their coops, only 2 have heat lamps which just provide heat above the perches. most of my breeds even have large single combs and are fine. if needed (if it gets colder) i will add lamps the the remaining coops.

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

My Seramas are outside in a, "rabbit hutch," style home. Last night it was single digit, today it is up to 20*. I opened up the door, and they all came outside, and have been outside all day. I do have a heat lamp inside, but they don't seem to care.

I agree, Akane; they can handle the cold well.

6. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    Interesting info., but how long can they stay at those temps? I only have 1 and she is inside with me and since the weather is down to the teens now I think she should stay there.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Well, I would not leave one alone outside. I have 6 Seramas and 1 Silkie together.
    No, I wouldn't leave one of any kind alone in below zero weather.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It hasn't gotten over 20F here and been around 0 at night. They are still fine. They actually like to roost on a little bit of mesh wire (wasn't my roosting spot choice) about 2' off the ground. At night they are all sitting in a row with the japanese bantams on the board nearby. During the day they wander about and annoy me for treats. They haven't gone outside but the snow is considerably taller than they are. We got 10" in a night.

1 bantam chicken outside is bad enough. They are social animals and would be very unhappy outside alone. One bantam outside alone in the cold would likely mean death if you didn't provide some heat. Personally I'd find it cruel. Even as inside pets I keep mine in pairs or trios.

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Mine have heat lamps and a heated kennel pad indoors and free access to outside otherwise, it's been in the teens at night for awhile and they seem fine. I've even got downy babies out there with them in this mess. I needed the brooder space so they joined the bantam league.

10. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Oh my goodness it's cold outside! I'm changing the water twice a day, putting towels over pens, etc. and I still feel bad for them! I just dismantled a five-light chandelier in order to have light fixtures available for heat lamps. Just built my first big bird brooder, think I'm going to call it a "heat hut". It's a box with a light inside and an entry door. I have a wire cage for the light in case anyone gets the brilliant idea to peck at the bulb. I put it in the EE pen, and I think I'm going to try to put the Cochins in with them. The Seramas are all in breeding pens, but I want to put them all together and give them a hut as well. Is the freezing weather considered the great integrater? I'd like it if they could set aside their differnces quickly in order to get about the business of huddling up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by