seramas in uk winter?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cuckoo0092, Nov 2, 2014.

1. cuckoo0092

cuckoo0092 New Egg

Sep 12, 2014
    hi, sorry if this is the wrong forum but dont know where this would fit....im in uk and i have a serama about 10 weeks old and winter is coming up. i will be taking it out to our shed but its made of steel and there is no electricity there.... what could i do to keep it warm and IF this situation is ok for the serama. the lowest temperature here goes about negative 2 but usually above 0.
    thank you

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi, will this be the only bird going out into the shed? At 10 weeks it should be fully feathered so able to keep its self warm. With no electricity you don't really have any means of providing heat for it barring hot water bottles. But at 10 weeks it should be roosting on a night. Do have a small coop you could use for it? A smaller coop should be warmer than a whole shed :frow

3. cuckoo0092

cuckoo0092 New Egg

Sep 12, 2014
    hi yorkshire coop thanks for replying. i could get a small coop and put it inside my steel shed and get another hen to befriend the chick but the reason i worry is that i read online that seramas are very sensitive to cold? thanks

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Does the chick live in the house now? Could you keep it as house chicken over the winter if you are worried about the cold? There are some threads/articles on here about house chickens. 10 weeks is a little young to add a full grown hen to the chick it may result in blood bath.

5. cuckoo0092

cuckoo0092 New Egg

Sep 12, 2014
    yes its in the house and i can keep it in for the winter hopefully it will be strong enough next winter with other chickens and ill be able to keep them in the coop outside? thanks got input

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Even in the spring you should be able to integrate it. Adding new members needs to be a slow process starting with your chick in separated area so others can see but can't get to it and cause injuries. That way they can become aquainted with each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by