Seramas laid there first egg!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by austinhart123, Oct 18, 2009.

1. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    ive been noticing my serama hen has been walking in her pose much more lately but didnt think much of it, well today as i was going down to move them to a new pen i built, i heard her and the male screaming, and i thought maybe there was a sqruiell in their coop or something but when i came down i saw the female leaving the nest box!!!
    there egg is the smalles egg ive ever seen, its about half the size of a cochin bantam egg and about a third of the size of a normal egg
    its hard to tell how small they are in these pics
    [​IMG]
    next to the big egg
    [​IMG]
    next to the cochin egg
    so now ive decided not to move them cuase im scared that they will stop laying if i move them, does anybody have any expierience with this? do u think if i move them with the same nest box it will be okay?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Cute egg! Are you going to eat it or hatch it?

3. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    Quote:no im going to incubate it, but im gunna wait till they lay a weeks worth (how ever many that is is) till i put them in the incubator, if they keep laying ill keep collecting eggs every week and then put them in that way ill have a hatch every weekend

4. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    i just went to go check on the chickens really quick, and the seramas were in there pen eating, i walked about 50 feet away then i heard the female screaming again, i turned around and she was just standing at the enterance of the nest squaking, i put a dummy egg in there so its not becuase her egg is gone, but im thinking maybe she laid this egg yesterday afternoon and is gunna lay another one today

5. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Yay! Congrats Austin!!!
    Another pullet from that batch that I sold, laid an egg for her new Mom too! Its just about that time for these girls. They are 6 months old.

I never try to hatch the first eggs, they are usually small and even if you get them to hatch, they make for small weaker chicks.

I would let her lay a week or two and then start collecting the larger eggs.

It really wont hurt though to try and hatch these! Happy Hatching!!!

6. austinhart123

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    okay i probably wont hatch these first few, i only will if she stops laying or doesnt lay that many

7. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    Very cute.

8. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    Awsome!!!! [​IMG]

9. mayapooh

mayapooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Kern River Valley, CA
    Oooh, congrats!!

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Goody!!! Then you get to hatch these!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's Tux, and that's a thermometer whose size most of us know, standing near a quarter that is half his weight. Tux weighs in at .46 ounces. The quarter at .21 oz. He's momma's boy and he knows it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by