Seramas -- NOT 'poultry'??

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by happybooker1, Feb 9, 2013.

1. happybooker1

happybooker1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    OK I know they're classified as 'chickens'. But has anyone had success challenging an ordinance against 'poultry' for Seramas?

The definition of poultry is birds raised for meat, eggs, and/or feathers. Seramas aren't raised for any of those. They are strictly an ornamental breed, and mainly serve as pets/show birds. I mean, you COULD certainly eat the eggs, but I could also eat Parrot eggs or cockatiel eggs if I was so inclined. I don't know anyone that would have a flock of Seramas intending to get all their eatable eggs from them.

Anyone??

2. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    I don't think you would have a case. If it has feathers, lays eggs, and crows, it is classified as "poultry" no matter its purpose.

3. happybooker1

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    But I was using the Webster's Dictionary definition, which mentions nothing about crowing. In their native country Seramas are kept as pets. Turkeys don't crow, they gobble. Pheasants -- I don't know what sound they make. Pigeons & doves coo. You could certainly challenge the 'crowing' definition. Just sayin'.

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I don't think you have a leg to stand on. Just because teacup poodles don't hunt or herd, or because basenjis don't bark, doesn't disqualify them as dogs. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. happybooker1

Oct 4, 2012
    North of Houston Texas
    LOL! Just thinking ahead is all......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by