Seramas Scabby Tail Feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DragonEggs, Jun 18, 2010.

1. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    I bought a young pair of Seramas a couple of weeks ago. Their cage mates had plucked out their tail and back feathers. I've had them seperated from my main flock to allow their feathers to grow back. I noticed today that the females feathers had grown back considerably while the male didn't seem to show much progress. I took him out to check him and noticed his tail was very scabby and swollen. I ran it under warm water and pulled off a pretty good size scab. The flesh underneath looks pink and healthy. There was a tiny amount of blood from some of the feather holes since when I pulled off the scab it pulled out some roots, but the feathers weren't growing, they looked like ingrown hairs. It was still very swollen and I noticed some other feather roots that looked kind of like ingrown hairs that were very swollen. I pulled out the worst looking ones and the root was very slimy and there was a little bit of pus like stuff. I cleaned his little tail off again with warm water and put him back in with his mate. Is this something normal that happens when they lose a lot of tail feathers? Did I do the right thing? What else should I do for him?

I'll try to post pictures of what his tail looks like now all cleaned up after he calms down a bit.
  2. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
  3. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    I have never had that happen. The best thing would be triple antibiotic ointment and checking it often. Make sure that it isn't pecked again. It could be infected. [​IMG]
  4. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have the same problem with mine, I wish I had seen your post before I posted my own. infected hair follicle, that seems reasonable, still dont know what to do about it.

Help anyone?

5. DragonEggs

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Yep, thats EXACTLY what mine looked like! I picked off all the scabs and plucked the feathers that looked bad and cleaned it really good. I went back and put antibiotic ointment on it. Today the swelling has gone down considerably, the skin looks healthy and new feathers are already growing! There are only a couple of tiny pin point scabs where the really bad feather follicles bled a little when I picked out bad feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by