1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seramas vs Silver Sebrights

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mrs1885, Feb 17, 2014.

1. mrs1885

mrs1885 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Van Buren Co, TN
    I'm very seriously thinking of getting a chicken or three to keep primarily in the house. I'd like it to be with us all day (we're both retired and always home) but when I'm working in the garden have it / them out there with me too.

I'm torn between Seramas and Silver Sebrights. Does anyone have either? Or better yet have experience with both and a suggestion between them? I want something very small and very social with humans. Is one breed generally better than the other?

2. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    i dont have any but i like the way seramas look better

3. Urucubaca

Urucubaca Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I find that my Sebrights are a bit skittish, despite human interaction. It could just be the bloodline I have, but I think it isn't uncommon to have extra skittish Sebrights. I would check the parents before you bought the offspring.

If you want a friendly one to follow you around... get Silkies :D

I really want Seramas, as they are just so small and cute. Can't find any though!!!!

4. mrs1885

mrs1885 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2013
    Van Buren Co, TN
    Well, since we can't find local Sebright breeders, we'd have to order them. And since they tend to be not as social, and we can get Seramas locally, I think we'll go that way. I emailed someone today about going to look at some. We're thinking of getting two or three. I still love the Sebrights. I just think they're really pretty birds. Maybe when we sell the farm and build a bigger one and I've got a place specifically for their breed I'll get some.

I love the silkies but hubby doesn't. He wasn't too excited about the Sebrights but was okay with them because I was so excited about them. He just plain doesn't do the silkie thing though. Bummer, because they are just adorable. Like a chicken / bunny mix!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by