Seramas

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mlove, Jul 8, 2010.

1. mlove

mlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    I'm so excited! I will be going to pick up some week old serama chicks this week.[​IMG] At what age can they be sexed and does anyone have any advice on raising them. I currently have silkies and polish but the seramas are much smaller so I'm a little nervous.

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    I dont know much but you should PM Kooshie. She knows everything about seramas. [​IMG] Good luck!!

3. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Thanks, I sent her a pm.

4. lonestargame

lonestargame Little TX Seramas

Jun 21, 2010
  5. BluegrassSeramas

BluegrassSeramas Serama Savvy

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    Hi! You can usually be fairly sure of sex by 8 weeks or so.
    Are you looking for any particular advice? If I start talking about them, I might fill up this page, lol
    Im an addict! [​IMG]

6. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Quote:Well, talk away. [​IMG] I just bought 12 chicks and I already love them. The chicks I purchased are not the very tiny seramas but the breeder said they were from class b stock. I have been grinding the chicks food up in the blender to make it easier for the chicks to eat but other than that I have been doing everything the same as I would for my silkie chicks.

I have a friend that said she will give me some serama eggs from her very tiny seramas but I'm not sure if I could successfully incubate them. Any suggestions on how to incubate serama eggs using a hovabator?

7. BluegrassSeramas

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    I wish I could give you some incubating tricks, but I cheat and have an army of bantams for broodies. Sometimes I have them start eggs for 10 days and put them in the incubator to give them a good start.

If you get eggs from seramas smaller than a B class bird, you incubate them the same way. Just make sure they are not pullet eggs and in good shape. Usually the tiniest of the serama hen's dont lay as well, but if your friend is getting eggs, take them. The small birds can produce larger chicks, and the B class birds can produce A class chicks (or micros) too. I prefer using a larger A hen or B class hen with an A class roo, if I have one I like. The B class hens just lay better, and seramas produce a range of sizes. Check for infertility in the very smallest of the birds if you breed some later.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  8. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    Thanks for the help. Her trio was given to her as a gift and they are tiny about the size of my hand. I don't think she has ever tried to incubate any of their eggs. I keep silkies so maybe I should wait until they go broody so I can sneak a few serama eggs in the nest.

9. BluegrassSeramas

Aug 25, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    That might work! I want to see pics of her teeny birds! lol

10. mlove

Feb 25, 2010
    tx
    I'll take photos the next time I go. They are very cute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by