Seramas

blaundee

Songster
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
I'm considering Seramas. They are so cute. However, I wonder about the cold, and snow, and living with other bantams and LF chickens...

Where I live is 7500' elevation, we have long, cold winters. Our summers are not too hot, might get just over 100 in the hottest days, but usually around mid 80's. Last frost is June 10, first frost is Oct 10 (those dates are generous).

My henhouse, and any I will build later will be similar, is off the ground, has a wood floor, lots of wood shavings topped with straw, and I shut the door every night to keep the birds warm and safe. When it snows, I make sure the chicken yard is clear enough that everyone can get around okay.
smile.png

Please share your thoughts, I REALLY want some but don't want them to be miserable...

Blaundie....

I'm just over in Amarillo Tx. My seramas do fine. They live in a rabbit cage indoors and on nice days, I let them out in the backyard for the entire day. They are such a joy. My 6yo son has Autism and loves them to death and they are so kind, patient and gentle with him.

2 out of 3 egg's I ever hatched from hatching egg's 6 1/2 years ago on Xmas was a pair of serama's.One was a silkie hen.I live in Virginia and I didn't know the first thing really about chicken's.After reading up on them and hearing so much about them being warm climate bird's I so worried.But That was the best pair of bird's I ever had and probably one of the most long surviving.Mine roosted with several other cochin's frizzles and even my narragansett turkey pair with no problem's.My roo Sonny would get right out in the snow as long as he could walk and they did great.Of course they had good closed coop at night and plenty of hay in nest boxe's but mainly like to roost in the rafter's.They should do just fine as long as you have a good lil coop for them with the protection from the nightime elements and wind.I wouldn't suggest and off the ground open wire pen run however.

Hen Coco

49477_goose_018.jpg

Roo Sonny

49477_new_bird_002.jpg

My seramas stay indoors as well in a rabbit cage. We are building a new patio soon hopefully and will make them larger hutch there.. We take them outside on nice days.. They are really fun and regardless, they make great indoor pets.. They will out grow the rabbit cage in a few months so the patio better be quick
smile.png
I only have 4, 3 pullets, and one roo. Extreamly friendly, and all of mine like to be handled. Infact they get mad if they don't.

My little flock of seramas live outdoors and have their own house and fenced in run. I transfer them to cages in the garage only in freezing or snowy weather (usually from about mid-December thru end of February), but otherwise, they live outside on the ground like the rest of my chicken breeds.

20890_serama2.jpg

Last edited:
31816_img_1434.jpg

My Seramas' best friend when it gets cold here in Ohio! Test it first to make sure it doesn't get too hot, and only turn it on when it gets really cold. I don't have mine out yet, but I'm sure that the ones who remember it from last year are really looking foreward to it!
31816_img_0252.jpg

I have 3 Serama hens and I absolutely love them! I was scared to death when they came in a hatching assortment I ordered because I had heard how tough they were to hatch and how delicate they were. Mine proved to be the feisty ones of the hatch and the healthiest! One of the Seramas was the first egg to hatch and she assisted all the others out of their eggs. She lives outside with her sister and the third one lives with my house Silkie who was her broody hen. The outside ones are living in the garage this winter but will go back out in the spring. My flock is mostly bantams with about 30 standards. The Seramas have no problem fitting in with the group at all. They are broody though. All of them have been broody since early summer. I'm hoping to get some more Serama eggs after the first of the year for them to hatch. They are addicting little creatures
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom