Seramas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Jul 6, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Since Seramas technically arent a true reconized breed yet, you cant enter them in shows at this time, or can you?
    I just want to make sure before I make myself look like an idiot at the next show coming up.. but im pretty sure you cant since they arent reconized...
    TIA!!

2. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    The pure white ones are recognized.

Edit: as of this spring 2011

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  3. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:I only have a tan and white one and a burgondy red and black.. They need to get on the ball with these seramas!! I have the smallest pullet you could ever imagine!! She's about 10 weeks old and the size of my 4-5 week old white silkie!!!

4. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Serama's CAN be entered at open shows in any color. Here in NC we have a nice turnout of serama's, they have even given them their own division. Most shows put them by cock/hen cockerel/pullet instead of color because there are sooo many different colors. If your area does not offer their own division I would think they would be in the bantam SCCL division?? Just ask someone that is hosting the show to help you place them in the right catagory. [​IMG]

5. edgarmongold

edgarmongold Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:We show the White and White Frizzled separate as they are recognized by the ABA.

Then we have the following classes:

AOC American Serama Cock
    AOC American Serama Hen
    AOC American Serama Cockerel
    AOC American Serama Pullet

AV Booted American Serama Cock
    AV Booted American Serama Hen
    AV Booted American Serama Cockerel
    AV Booted American Serama Pullet

AV Silkied American Serama Cock
    AV Silkied American Serama Hen
    AV Silkied American Serama Cockerel
    AV Silkied American Serama Pullet

AOC Frizzled American Serama Cock
    AOC Frizzled American Serama Hen
    AOC Frizzled American Serama Cockerel
    AOC Frizzled American Serama Pullet

That is how the Serama Council of North America suggest that they be entered in open poultry shows.

6. HenThymes

HenThymes pippin ain't easy

Feb 27, 2010
    Foothills of NC
    Thanks Edgar, I have seen it several ways here in NC not all of them good, one show even broke it down by color and lets just say all the serama's ended up with firsts. [​IMG]. I wish that all judges were on the same page when it comes to judging serama's but I have seen some of them ask what a silkied and frizzled serama even was as they were pulling it out the cage. [​IMG] (and these are APA/ABA judges [​IMG] )

7. edgarmongold

edgarmongold Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Quote:Most is left up to show management on Non recognized breeds and it is up to the breed club to educate its members on how to enter their birds for the best results.

No excuse for an APA/ABA judge not to know the difference between a frizzled and a silkied bird of any breed. mho

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by