1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Seramas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Skye727, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Skye727

Skye727 Chirping

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I have a serama family. A roo, hen and their baby. They are in the house and he is so loud!! Ugh! I want to put them outside during the day for some exercise when it's warm enough. Can they free range? Or should I put them in the "fancy" run? I sometimes lock up my silkies so they don't get rained on. If they have been inside for months, will it be a shock to go outside in 50 degree weather for a few hours?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Due to their small size they would be very vulnerable to predation.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka 8 Years

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Also be warned - the little rascals can fly better than most chicken breeds. My daughter sometimes lets some of her Seramas out in a small pen on the lawn for a little "grass time." Most are easily caught and handled, but we've had birds get excited and fly up over the workshop (just glad none have tried to land up there - it would be a real pain trying to get them down!).

As long as they can be secured and/or supervised, I don't see why the temperature should be a problem (assuming that the young bird has feathered out).[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: