Seramas

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Skye727, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Skye727

Skye727 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2014
    Sandy, oregon
    I have a serama family. A roo, hen and their baby. They are in the house and he is so loud!! Ugh! I want to put them outside during the day for some exercise when it's warm enough. Can they free range? Or should I put them in the "fancy" run? I sometimes lock up my silkies so they don't get rained on. If they have been inside for months, will it be a shock to go outside in 50 degree weather for a few hours?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Due to their small size they would be very vulnerable to predation.

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Also be warned - the little rascals can fly better than most chicken breeds. My daughter sometimes lets some of her Seramas out in a small pen on the lawn for a little "grass time." Most are easily caught and handled, but we've had birds get excited and fly up over the workshop (just glad none have tried to land up there - it would be a real pain trying to get them down!).

As long as they can be secured and/or supervised, I don't see why the temperature should be a problem (assuming that the young bird has feathered out).[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by