1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Seregate mother?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bantamkelley, Nov 21, 2011.

1. bantamkelley

bantamkelley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    Ive been looking at some amazing birds on some of the recommended hatchery sites and most of them seldom go broody. Ive read that silkies are great mothers and I was curious if I could put the eggs from the rare breeds under the broody silkie? If you want look aat my other post on my future coop. Thanks in advance:)

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    You can put the eggs under the silkie under the correct conditions. You have to make sure the eggs she is currently setting on, will coincide with the game eggs hatching within a few days of each other. If not, she could decide to abandon the game eggs before they hatch. Also try not to overcrowd her with eggs, a silkie can only set on so many eggs.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Yes, and you can also give her already hatched baby chicks and she will adopt them! They need to be just a day or two old, and you need to either have fake eggs under her and switch them out or make sure you give her the chicks the same day the eggs hatch she is setting on. Do it at night and quietly tuck them under her and she will never know the difference!

4. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Good addition to my advice.
    Quote:

5. bantamkelley

bantamkelley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    Okay so how many eggs do you think per silkie. And I fogot to add this but the "rare" birds are cochins. So do yall think that I could just take away her eggs and replace them with the cochins alltogether?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by