Serema Housing ???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GAGE, Dec 9, 2010.

1. GAGE

GAGE Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    GA
    Is there a thread around to show how people who have seremas are housing them, What kind of coop/pen do they need? My wife loves them and I was thinking about our next project.

Thank you all![​IMG]

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Check out the Breeds, Genetics and Showing section for posts on seramas...

3. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Depends on how many you have! I have housed up to 3 in a raised rabbit hutch with run. I also have a smaller coop that I had up to 6 at a time in. I sold all of my seramas recently to make room for more silkies but I still have the larger coop.

This is the same style coop...
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=34095

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I have mostly Serama crossbreeds, and I house them in the same kind of coop you'd use for standard size hens, giving them the same minimum square feet indoors and out (4 square feet per bird inside, plus 10 square feet per bird outside). Seramas are small, sure, but they're lively and active birds and use the space you give them.

Seramas aren't known to be cold hardy, so you do have to consider supplemental heating in winter depending on your climate. And like other bantams, you can use a narrower roost than for big chickens. I use roosts that are about 1 3/4 " wide.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by