Serial predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Attila the Honey, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Attila the Honey

Attila the Honey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    A couple of weeks ago, I lost one of my Barred Rocks to, what I thought was a hawk. I had found a hawk feather in the alley, so I assumed that is what got her. I was wrong. This morning, I fed my hens at 0500 and had just gotten back into the house, when I heard a commotion outside. I went out and found a bunch of hens in a state of panic. I immediately ran out to the alley, where I saw a coyote standing over the body of my other Barred Rock. I started to run towards him, but he picked her up and left in a hurry. Now to coyote proof the fence.

2. Kudzu

Kudzu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    On our property coyote and beaver are the only ones I shoot on site.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Sounds like the OP lives in the city, so shooting the coyote is almost certainly not an option.

Coyotes can climb and jump very high. If you can electrify the fence along the top and also a few inches down on both sides it might help. You will need to check city/zoning codes to make sure electric fences are legal. Generally coyotes do much of their hunting near dusk and dawk. If you can keep your birds in until mid morning, it may help. That said, coyotes can be active during the day, so a less risky choice would be to fully pen them in.

4. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Once they find a easy, quick meal, any predator will be back till the source runs dry.

Get a top on if possible and lay down that skirting making sure it is firmlt attached to the run because that's where the dig at. If you're using dog kennel panels, be sure the wire is well connected to the frame at every possible spot to stop them from pushing thru. If it's in the budget, a electric fence will turn away a yote or stray dog in a instant!

5. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Coyotes suck...any way you can legally dispose of them , do it.It will be back for more easy meals, instead of hunting in the woods like it should.They are sly, sneaky opportunist.Be on double gauard if you have small children.Yes, they will attack small kids, and have done so right in front of parents in the park,on the farm, etc...When they violate you and yours at such close to home senerio's, kill it...

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree. I have electric wires around my chicken yards and when a critter touches it they don't come back to test it again.

7. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Quote:Completely agree! THe coyotes are so bold here that they come out mid day. WHen I leave for any length of time I put two dogs in the goats pen to protect the chickens and goats. Darn Coyotes!!! Good luck. Sorry for your loss.

8. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

You haven't posted where you are or if shooting is prohibited. Are air rifles allowed? They have them now that will kill a yote. If they are allowed, use them and if need be use a game call to lure them into range. You need to get secure or get them before they wipe you out

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Since the OP refers to finding the coyote with her hen in the alley behind her house, it strongly implies a city or town--there just are not alleys in the country. I know of no city or town that does not prohibit shooting a deadly weapon in a populated area, with very limited allowances such as protecting the life of a person. If an air rifle can kill, then it is likely regulated, too.

10. Attila the Honey

Attila the Honey Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Sorry it took so long to reply - very LONG work days! I live just outside the city limits of Tucson, but still in a neighborhood, so shooting is definitely out of the question. I thought about the electric fence too and am seriously thinking that is the way to go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by