Serious Duck Bill Injury

Ducksx5

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 24, 2009
I came home yesterday to a serious bill injury to one of my Pekin drakes. He has 1/2 upper bill left and a gouge below his bill, bleeding. He may have been attacked by a snapping turtle in the pond. I washed the blood away and let him be as this was stressful to him. He is drinking water. I don't know if he is eating yet. Can he live with this type of deformity?

That just sucks
sad.png
I have read a few posts on here of bill injurys that have turned out fine... I know someone will let u know what u can do but they have been Happy endings.... good luck..

Poor thing. Odds are he'll be ok, they adapt. You might need to help him by making sure his food is extra easy to pick up -- big tubs of it so he can just stick what's left of his bill in there and shovel it in the best he can.

I'd give him antibiotics right now so that he doesn't get a massive infection.

One of my geese tore a hole in his bill when he got it stuck in the trim of our pole building. It bled like crazy and he seemed really stressed out about it. I turned out fine. Just keep you eye on it and watch for infection. I thing your duck will be okay.

I had a duckling born this spring with the top half of his bill very mishapen. He basically cannot use his upper bill like he should. His bottom bill sticks out and his tongue is always exposed. He has done very well. He eats, drinks just like all the others. Yours will probably be fine. Like someone else stated, they adapt.

We have a mallard at the lake who has a deformity in his upper bill where there is less than half of it left. No one knows if it was inherited or it got caught by a turtle like yours did. But, he does just fine with it. He gets hand fed and can eat grain out of someone's hand or a bowl with no problem. I don't know if he can catch flies or eat algae, but he is able to eat grain and loose food. If I had a photo ready, I would post it to show you what he looks like. I will try to dig it out and show you later.

Last edited:
One eye half beak (his Indian name) is doing well. He has almost healed up and is adjusting to his new look.

Back
Top Bottom