Serious Eye Infection in my silkie hen!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lflynn5324, Nov 24, 2013.

1. lflynn5324

lflynn5324 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2013
    el reno, oklahoma
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I bought this hen a couple months ago with some others and realized she had some bubbles in her eyes, but when I asked the lady I got her from about it, she said she didn't THINK any of hers were sick. Well I tried antibiotic in the water, and considering how she looks NOW, last week I took her to the vet and he gave her a shot and some kind of cream colored eye ointment called cephapirin sodium? Well. None of this has helped and her eyes are still swelling with puss everyday, and Im cleaning them every morning and night now with no progress. I've heard of the tylan 50? Should I get that? She tries to eat but she can't see and she has lost so much weight. And what's worse, I checked my others the other day and I'm seeing the beginning bubbles in a few more of my chickens eyes!! So I guess I'm going to have to create a SICK PEN for them so it doesn't continue spreading?! Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks everyone[​IMG]her eyes continue to be swollen shut and she can't see. This just builds every time I put her down, like an infected wound. Her eyes are so sore and miserable.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hate to be the bearer of bad news but look up crd, its contagious and they remain carriers of it. you need the tylan every day for 5-7 days if you decide to treat.

3. lflynn5324

Aug 28, 2013
    el reno, oklahoma
    Well considering some of my best hens look like they have it now, I will just have to start my own little chicken hospital! Ha! I'm praying the tylan will help

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like she has a sinus infection... Check the cleft in the roof of her mouth for pus.
    This is what it should look like, nice and clean.
    [​IMG]

It should not have pus in the cleft like this one does.
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  5. lflynn5324

Aug 28, 2013
    el reno, oklahoma
    OK I just checked and she doesn't have anything up there. It looks clean. So what now? Lol

6. lflynn5324

Aug 28, 2013
    el reno, oklahoma
    [​IMG]
    just checked that and its clean up there. No puss. But her eye sure had lots more in it. Ugh.anymore suggestions? I can try to get a pic in there tho if it will help to see in her mouth?I tried. Lol that was a difficult pic to get. ..by myself anyways. I feel so bad for her. She tries to eat and drinks and walks around fine, but I can tell she's miserable. She really is a sweet hen. Just don't know what else yo do to help her. These eye drop/ointment medicine the vet gave me aren't doing anything for her

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You need to get the pus out of her eye... Is it hard or soft pus?

-Kathy

8. lflynn5324

Aug 28, 2013
    el reno, oklahoma
    I continue to clean the puss out of her eyes. It just builds rather quickly. Its soft puss and once I touch it, it drips out, so I clean it out as much as I can with a wet paper towel

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Try inserting your finger in her mouth and gently apply pressure to the roof with tone finger and with another finger try to massage some out. I bet it's somewhat deep in her sinus cavity. Do you have Tylan?

-Kathy

10. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by