(Serious)!!!!Fed Chocolate by accident

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by al6517, Apr 1, 2009.

1. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Some how some treats got dump into the treat basket by accident ( kids ) that had some chocolate chips in them, I know that chocolate can be toxic to some animals, But what about chickens???. I have read all the treat charts and it is a no no, so now what, we have 35 or so layers in that particular coop, they may concievably eat 2 morsels each. Will this effect them and how so. and if so is there a treatment??. Any help you can give will help save my large breed layers. Thank you.

AL

2. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I'd ASSUME (and we know what that means) that having a couple chips is not going to harm them much. Chocolate is a no no for all of us, but I've seen a bird eat a rock with motor oil on it. I fretted all night, she was fine. She even went back to that exact spot to find more! (I cleaned it up)
    Unless someone else comes in and says different, you will need to let it pass.

3. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    just keep an eye on it...I would keep food and water in there to help move things along. I wouldn't worry too much either...I once saw one of my pullets poop shards of glass with no bleeding. Apparently she found a pile of broken glass somewhere on my property and thought it looked extra tasty or just shiny! [​IMG] good luck!

4. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Quote:Say it ain't so!!!!!! (she says with chocolate bar in hand)
    Chocolate is a yes yes for humans!
    But yeah, I would keep it away from chickens for sure - hope they'll be okay. Let us know, okay?
    JJ

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Sounds encouraging so far, they do have plenty of grub and H2o available to them, I will continue to monitor them.

AL

6. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    I would relax, if its not good for them, theres nothing you can do now anyway.
    They should be fine, but be sure to tell us how it turns out!

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    With a very small amount like that they should be fine. I've seen a Daschund eat a 1 lb. box of Godiva chocolates and live through it...not a good idea, but too late now.

8. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I've fed chocolate to my birds in small amounts before, never hurt mine.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I agree small amounts of chocolate shouldn't cause major harm. Just keep an eye on them for any suspicious symptoms and report back. I don't think birds metabolize chocolate like dogs do, so may not have the same type of reaction of toxicity. Just my thoughts.

10. katkat92

katkat92 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2009
    Oregon
    My 6 pound mini Dachshund ate half a pound of chocolate covered espresso beans and came out of it just fine. I wouldn't worry to much. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by