1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Serious Foot Problem-Bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Foghornleghorntx, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Foghornleghorntx

Foghornleghorntx New Egg

Sep 21, 2010
    I have a rooster that I adore but he's had a chronic foot problem, I have taken him to 2 "bird" vets but they didn't really know what to do. One quoted an $800 surgery. Sooo I tried to treat him myself by soaking in Epson salts, puting on antibiotic ointment and vetwrapping. I have removed two plugs and had the hard fatty tissue come out as I read in other posts but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Is there an antibiotic I can get over the counter and a pain reliever? I really want to help him but can't afford the surgery.

I could use some advice from those of you that know these things.

2. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    No ointments with pain reliever, as it will kill them. Do you think that you may not have gone deep enough? It sounds like you did it correctly the first time, but may need to again. Pack it good with neosporin and wrap with vet wrap.

3. Slater1995

Slater1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I have a Bantam Cochin with a really bad case of bumble foot. I had to to actually cut into her foot to get all the crap out. It took me a good 6 to 8 weeks to get her healed up good. I kept antiobiotic in her water as well as kept neosproin in the foot. Keep the foot clean and dry and redo the wrap at least once a day. Make sure the bird is not on a wire floor.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
    Teresa

4. Foghornleghorntx

Foghornleghorntx New Egg

Sep 21, 2010
    I've been afraid to cut too deep. I may have to try again. Ugg this kills me to do this to him but will if it helps.
    What kind of antibiotic do you put in the water?

Thanks guys this really helps.

5. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Staph infection is petty persistant. It doesn't give up easy. You will have to dig in further to get that junk out. But don't give up, which it doesn't sound like you will. Good luck with your roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by