Serious Foot Problem-Bumblefoot?

Foghornleghorntx

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
I have a rooster that I adore but he's had a chronic foot problem, I have taken him to 2 "bird" vets but they didn't really know what to do. One quoted an $800 surgery. Sooo I tried to treat him myself by soaking in Epson salts, puting on antibiotic ointment and vetwrapping. I have removed two plugs and had the hard fatty tissue come out as I read in other posts but it doesn't seem to be getting better. Is there an antibiotic I can get over the counter and a pain reliever? I really want to help him but can't afford the surgery.

I could use some advice from those of you that know these things.

No ointments with pain reliever, as it will kill them. Do you think that you may not have gone deep enough? It sounds like you did it correctly the first time, but may need to again. Pack it good with neosporin and wrap with vet wrap.

Quote:
I have a Bantam Cochin with a really bad case of bumble foot. I had to to actually cut into her foot to get all the crap out. It took me a good 6 to 8 weeks to get her healed up good. I kept antiobiotic in her water as well as kept neosproin in the foot. Keep the foot clean and dry and redo the wrap at least once a day. Make sure the bird is not on a wire floor.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Teresa

I've been afraid to cut too deep. I may have to try again. Ugg this kills me to do this to him but will if it helps.
What kind of antibiotic do you put in the water?

Thanks guys this really helps.

Staph infection is petty persistant. It doesn't give up easy. You will have to dig in further to get that junk out. But don't give up, which it doesn't sound like you will. Good luck with your roo

Back
Top Bottom