serious head injury!!! What can I do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lonnaj, Aug 28, 2010.

1. lonnaj

lonnaj New Egg

Mar 11, 2010
    Oh boy, I've got trouble. After about 2 weeks apart but visual to each other, I picked last night to introduce 2 young chickens (14 weeks) to by 2 existing hen (1.5 yrs). Under the cover of darkness, I put the new birds onto the roost in the coop with the door open to minimize any "encounters". I checked them at 6AM to discover 3 of them out roaming in the run and the 4 standing very still at the chicken wire fence, so still I was sure she was dead on her feet. She's not but what a mess. Her head/comb pretty much looks like it has been scalped. I can see her skull. It's bloody but not bleeding. She can walk but is a bit unsteady. I DO NOT want to prolong her suffering if this is beyond help. I just don't know what to do - please, any advise!!! PS I have reseperated the chickens!

2. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    wash her wound asses the damage and put some neosporin on it and feed her some soft boiled egg and some yogurt. Keep a watch for knats getting in the wound. Someone else can offer suggestions on that, I am not sure. I am so sorry sounds like you did everything right. Hens are so mean.

3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    poor thing. Good luck

4. lonnaj

lonnaj New Egg

Mar 11, 2010
    UPDATE! I took some photos and headed to my vet's office. Here's what he told me (maybe the advice will help someone else down the road)... Chickens have a very high metabolic temperature so they seldom suffer from surface bacterial infections. Use a non-sting spray-on bandage to cover the area. No need for polysporin or the like. Picking of the wound from the others is a primary concern. She need isolation and some TLC for a few day (which she is now getting!). Based on the photos, he says it's worth a try for recovery. She will have some significant scar tissue on her head...but that will give her more character! [​IMG] I've got my fingers crossed.

[​IMG]

5. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Wow, I've been worried about my young 'uns that are now in with my older pullets. They'll "hide" in the corner of the run with their heads buried and think they're totally hidden. [​IMG] So far the older girls haven't picked on them to the point of drawing blood -- they'll just go over and peck them a couple of times. I have a safe haven in the coop for them, but they want to come outside. All they would have to do is make a bee line for the hiding spot, but they choose to freeze and hide their heads. [​IMG]

Your girl is a special one. I just know she's going to be alright. [​IMG]

6. meme9697

meme9697 New Egg

Mar 27, 2014
    hi I am not sure when this was posted but I had almost the same thing happen and my hens head looks almost identical the only difference is she doesn't stand up all the way and she will not eat she has drank if I give it to her but she has laid an egg. did you have any problem in getting yours to eat or stand very well thanks

7. nerd0geekboyz

nerd0geekboyz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    NorCal
    [​IMG]
    I had a similar problem after two months of introducing new hens to my current group of hens. My Rhode Island was the most aggressive and I recall that she would pick on my Delaware (has a thing about white feathered hens) who is now dead.

Anyhow, two weeks of keeping my Leghorn isolated from the others her head began to heal. I also killed the three year old Rhode Island.

All is peaceful now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by