1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Serious heatwave coming -- question.

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Denninmi, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I have some "Cobra Mist Stands" that I picked up a few years ago really cheap at the garden center at Meijer season end clearance.

They're just a mist nozzle on a twisted pipe, so the jet sprays out instead of down.

With temps all week in the 90s and close to 100 forecast for Wed, Thurs, Fri, with high humidity, should I set up a mist stand on each run. (They CAN'T be let out in my neighborhood, no fences)?

Should I mist the birds directly, or mist the tops of the runs to allow that to take away some of the excess heat? Tops are tarped against the sun, sides are open hardware cloth and fencing.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Will they stand in shallow pans of water? Shade and breeze are probably the most critical factors, if there's any way you could set up a fan, unless it's breezy there. Lots of folks use misters, too.

There are lots of threads on this subject around now.

3. weirdturkeyfreak

weirdturkeyfreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Hose them every hour directly,
    put them in the shade,
    and put a fan on them.

If you have any more questions PM me,
    I don't read threads.

I hope I helped,
    Jackie

4. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Ah, we survived, everyone did great. I misted the tops of the runs, I think the evaporation helped to wick away extra moisture. And I gave them pans of water. It was 99 yesterday with a heat index of 112, but much cooler today. We're over the really brutal stuff for now, a lot of upper 80s and low 90s coming but I know we can handle that.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Turkeys LOVE to stand in water. Next heatwave, try giving them a shallow tub with about 4" of water & put a milk jug with frozen water in it. My turks love it!

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Which is why the water pan in the BBW pen is always filthy!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by