Serious Leg Injury - will she recover?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by angi, Sep 19, 2011.

1. angi

angi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    northeast, IN
    My old boss is giving me this cute little silver Banty. Her name is Roadrunner because she used to be lightning fast. One day he came home and she had a leg injury and was hopping around. He eventually had to seperate her from the flock because she got worse, possibly from being picked on. So she has been living in a box, and has got worse in my opinion. She doesn't stand or limp at all anymore, she just lays on her side with one leg pulled back and the other kind of kicking to spin her from food to water.

What can I do? anything?

2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    How long has she been separated? I'm sure she injured herself running away from the rest. You can slip a tiny bit of plain aspirin in her each day (no more than about 1/8 crushed in water using a dropper). Can you post a picture? Probably first, put a splash of gatorade in some water and leave that for her to drink. Also, take the dropper and drip some of it on the top of her beak slowly and watch for her to swallow. Some hydration could go a long way now.

3. Uniontown Poultry

Uniontown Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

A photo would be helpful, as there are lots of leg injuries that they can get. She might need to be off the leg for awhile while it heals, which would mean you'd have to rig up a little hammock or chick chair for her. Aspirin in the water's a good idea, since it's an anti-inflammatory as well as pain relief.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by