Serious mass and butt dragging

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ettasmama, Jun 7, 2011.

1. ettasmama

ettasmama New Egg

May 26, 2010
    Been gone for 10 days came back and one of my girls has an orange sized mass causing her butt to drag lots of dried waste on her backside. Mass is way lower than her vent. Is it a huge egg or something else all together? Have read about egg bind but can't imagine how that thing could ever move up high enough to come out a vent. Guessing she might be meeting her maker soon. But called the vet and figured I would check here for any thoughts or ideas.

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Maybe a large prolapse?

I would get her into the sink and clean up to see what exactly it was. And then decide from there.

What a mess. [​IMG]

3. MommaOrp

MommaOrp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Derbyshire, England
    Def clean up first, have a good look and re-assess. Thumps up for vet check, i hate losing old birds, its heartbreaking, but your lady should be fine all being well, good luck [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Is it inside or outside? Can't tell from your post. Pics, maybe?

5. ettasmama

ettasmama New Egg

May 26, 2010
    Sorry it was a bit unclear. Yes the mass is inside. From the outside once I cleaned up the pasty butt type stuff you can't really see anything other than the bulge she is waddling around with. I guess I am going to have to get on some gloves and check inside if I can once my 3 babes go down for nap.

6. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Sounds as if she may be internally laying. But without pictures it is hard to tell. I hope she is ok.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

8. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    My girl has been fighting something similar but hers actually broke open- my thread here was called something like "my hen split open". Before it split, she had a dirty swollen red butt that started to look saggy. I still don't know what happened, but I focused on cleaning and healing the wound up and I'm happy to say she's still alive- laid her first egg in a long time today. Best of luck!

9. ettasmama

ettasmama New Egg

May 26, 2010
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics show the vent and orange/grapefruit size mass a couple inches below her vent.

10. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    does she have an external parasite that's causing irritation? does she have a cyst or infection? I read in a previous post about draining a cyst but i am not well versed in this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by