Serious Moulting

NatalieChicks

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 14, 2012
One of my chickens (Wendy), has been moulting for around 9 months or so. At first it wasn't bad, it was just a few feathers she was losing so I thought it was one of her annual moults and didn't worry about it. But lately I've noticed every time she shakes a few feathers fall out, the coop is full of feathers and so is the garden! All of the feathers on her legs have completely gone, her chest is near enough bald and her comb is rather pale. I've been monitoring her and she seems to be drinking and eating fine and also the other chicken isn't pecking her and isn't moulting. Also I've put mite powder on both the chickens and on the bedding so I dont think it could be mites. So i've started to become rather worried to why her moulting has become this bad?

Below are some pictures of her moulting..

Here is a picture of one of her legs..

My 2 Wyandottes are moulting right now. Strange nature has chickens moulting in the winter???? So from your article...which was great by the way, my chickens might not lay again for 9 months?

My 2 Wyandottes are moulting right now. Strange nature has chickens moulting in the winter???? So from your article...which was great by the way, my chickens might not lay again for 9 months?
More like 2-3 months. Maybe less, maybe more. 9 months though? Never for me. If one was not laying that long, it would worry me. That would have me thinking internal laying.

His article said they can moult for up to 9 months. Mine have only been moulting for a month or so. I am wondering if they moult 1 or 2 times a year and for a few months each time and do not lay eggs in the winter...when am I getting any eggs? Kind of frustrating...mine started laying right before winter got a couple dozen eggs now it is winter and moulting and they are not laying. Not getting much for my work over the last 11 months. Does putting a light in the coop keep them form moulting?

His article said they can moult for up to 9 months. Mine have only been moulting for a month or so. I am wondering if they moult 1 or 2 times a year and for a few months each time and do not lay eggs in the winter...when am I getting any eggs? Kind of frustrating...mine started laying right before winter got a couple dozen eggs now it is winter and moulting and they are not laying. Not getting much for my work over the last 11 months. Does putting a light in the coop keep them form moulting?

It won't stop them from moulting, but supplementary light will definitely get them laying again this winter. With no light, they may not lay again until Spring.

This year almost all my hens went through a hard molt. I believe that it was because of great nutrition. I may be wrong but, my Jersey Giant hen went through a hard molt and was laying till the middle of it. Then my Japanese molted 2 times (fully) this summer. All 6 of my Leghorns went through a hard molt, too.

So moulting is a sign of good health? I know putting a light in the coop will help with laying in the winter, but I was planning to let them lay natural. I have a chicken tractor so putting a light up isn't really feasible. If I have them laying natually do you then end up with the chicken taking more time "off" than laying time? If so I am going to have to put up a light. I HATE buying eggs at the store when my hens are sitting out in the coop doing NOTHING!
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom