Serious Problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ky-Girl, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Ky-Girl

Ky-Girl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2015
    If anyone out there has any ideas of what is going on I would love to here them and be forever grateful. This is my baby girl the only one God blessed me with.
    Background: She is 3 years old and This all started Oct 2015 When we noticed that she was panting a lot but never could put our finger on what was going on. Until Dec then it hit me that she needed another source of calcium. In the mean time she was becoming egg bound, prolapsing, and having a hard time then in Feb 2016 we finally got her diagnosed with metritis. We started her on Baytril and and Rimadyl. After 2 rounds she started to look better and act like herself. Then in May she started to lay again and they were for the most part okay eggs but then in Sept 2016 something happened. She stopped laying and for 2 weeks. Then she stopped eating and lost weight, feathers started falling out and i had blood drawn to check for cancer everything looked okay. Started on her meds again and in 3 days she pushed out several lash eggs and cysts. Which I got help identifying them here. Thanks to all the lovely and intelligent people here. Then for the next several months days were shorted so less light which played in our favor she would lay probably 2 a week sometimes they were calcified and others they weren't (soft shelled). Which brings us to Jan 2017 Our vet sugjested cystorelion shots to keep her from laying and give her body time to heal.Went back on Baytril And Rimadyl at the end of Jan through middle of Feb. Then switched to minocyclin to see if that might be stronger and help heal her egg gland. Really no change but beginning of March no meds and 2 weeks after cystorelin shot she started pushing again I knew it was another soft shelled egg and sure enough after 10 hours of pushing and 2 soaks she pushed out 2 soft shelled eggs the second busted inside her . Dr put her back on meds to get ahead of infection. And gave her another shot. But for some reason shots arent working aand she is pushing these things out like crazy Which brings me to yesterday..
    At 3:30 am she started crying not yelling but gently crying. I went in to see what was wrong and her bill was on fire. Now she had her meds (cefpodoxime & Rimadyl) at 9:00 Pm So this should not of been happening. I picked her up to hold her and her legs were trembling. I ran here lukewarm bath put her in it.got her out was drying her off she started crying again. So i gave her a piece of Rimadyl. and put her back to bed to preen. After a few mins, crying again so I got her out and just laid in the floor till she found a place that she was comfortable. Then Wahlah
    [​IMG]Can u believe this A hard shelled egg. First since last Oct. I was so excited her fever was gone and I weighed her she weighed 5.0 The egg weighed 2.4 oz I knew that I was in trouble because she normally weighs 4.14 So there was something else in there.
    Just a few mins after she pooped this out
    [​IMG]It was sticky like infection. Then she wanted back in bed

So then at 2:00 pm after taking a long bath and eating worms she starts pushing again oh my goodness not even 9 hours later. No way right guess what [​IMG]This comes out and then the bad news
    [​IMG]This smelt like death and it is for sure sign of peritonitis. From then on of course her poop was nasty and smelt bad. Like Parvo illness is the only way I can describe it. I called the company that makes Cystorelin and tried to get some questions answered. But they said that it was designed for cows not ducks so they could not help me. I mean she has had her shot and still these eggs wont stop coming and I think their backing up inside her. What do I do?

Im so lost, tired, wore out, sick, and really scared.[​IMG]

2. Messica

Messica Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Minnesota
    It may not be what you want to hear, but if one of my fur or feathered friends was struggling that badly for that long I'd have to consider putting them down. Sometimes bodies aren't formed right and can't function correctly. The pain she's clearly experiencing......I don't know. I'm not sure giving her more and more shots and meds would be better than ending her suffering for good. If it's been an intermittent problem for her from the beginning I doubt it's something that can ever be fixed. You've already tried much harder than most would have.

3. Ky-Girl

Mar 24, 2015
    Well thank you for sharing your thoughts and yes that is not what I wanted to hear.

I can tell you that I love her more than that. I can not just give up on her. She loves life and loves being her bossy self. We havent tried everything yet.

I am wondering if anyone knows why the cystorelin isnt working? Or maybe someone might have some insight on whats going on in her reproductive system? Its like to many yolks are dropping at once

Is that for sure peritonitis? What can I check to eliminate diseases? I know for sure she had Metritis.and thought that had damaged her calcium gland until 2 days ago when she pushed out that calcified egg. Ive got tons of pictures if anyone wants to help me with it Please Im begging.

By the way Ive got an avian vet but hes never worked with waterfowl before but hes great and will take any advise given he loves Ronin alot.

4. Messica

Messica Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2016
    Minnesota
    Just to clarify, those who offer their feathered friends relief from perpetual suffering don't in anyway love them less. It's because of just how *much* they love them they do what is needed to end the pain - they put their personal feelings aside and do what is right for the bird, no matter how much it pains their heart to do so.

Beyond that I'll leave this thread if what you're looking for is a way to keep her alive. I do sincerely hope you find the answers you're looking for.

5. Ky-Girl

Mar 24, 2015
    I am in no way am trying to hurt her anymore i just know that where theres a will theres a way. My oldest is studying regenerative medicine. and I know there is a way to fix this. I just have to figure out what needs fixed specifically. Please if you have any advise to help me narrow it down to what part of her reproductive system it is I would be so grateful.

I do know what your saying.But Im not there yet and Pray that I dont get there.

By the way I like your icon Those are beautiful eggs.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @casportpony please.

7. Ky-Girl

Mar 24, 2015
    Thank You Miss Lydia. I just need to figure out what Im needing to fix or treat.[​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you consider spaying your duck I think I have read on here some have. @Ky-Girl

9. Ky-Girl

Mar 24, 2015
    Yes we have talked to our vet but like I said this is his first time working on waterfowl and the nearest one near here trustworthy is 7 to 10 hours from here. However he said as last resort he would consider consulting with another vet for help.

10. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    I think spaying is the way to go. Definitely.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by