Seriousbill- your Delawares are awesome!!! pics added

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, Apr 22, 2009.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I have been so busy lately I haven't had time to handle my chicks. I go feed and water them but haven't really held them. I decided to check out the Delawares tonight to see if I could tell how many cockerals there were.
    I took each out and they just stood there looking at me. No peeping, no running, nothing! I pet them and they leaned into it. I put so much time into some of the other chicks I hatched and they scream if you try to pet them or hold them. I highly recommend to anyone looking for Delawares to contact her, these are the BEST!!!!
    Oh, and I still have no idea how to tell what they are [​IMG]
    now I am hoping they are not all cockerals [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  2. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    I just got a group of delawares from a hatchery, and they're the same. Totally calm when I reach for them. In fact, they usually all run over to my hand if I leave it there for a few seconds. I have 5 other breeds and they are all more skittish, even the ones known for being calm breeds. Their temperament seems great at this point. Maybe this is a trait for the breed in general.

I also noticed that they are more active than my other breeds - constantly searching and pecking - they look like they'll be great foragers. I'm extremely happy with mine at this point.

As for sexing, it appears that they can be feather sexed as day-olds. My cockerels were marked when I got them, and I noticed that I could have feather sexed them rather reliably. They are about 4 days old now, and all the pullets have wing feathers and none of the marked cockerels do.

3. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:Thanks! [​IMG]

Oh, and McSpin, Delawares can't be feather sexed. I'd say that was a coincidence.

4. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    Quote:I received 30 birds and only 3 were cockerels, so statistically it's not too likely that it's a coincidence - though still possible. From what I understand it's a single gene that causes this sex-linked trait to occur. I've read that it can be bred into any line a person decides to add it to. I wonder if these hatchery birds have had this gene bred into them? It sure is cheaper and easier for hatcheries to raise feather-sexed birds, vs those that have to be vent sexed.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I agree on the temperament of these Delawares. Mine are eight weeks old and fabulous. They have as much or more personality than even my beloved BRs. For eight weeks old, to me, some of mine are HUGE.

6. seriousbill

seriousbill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Ohio
    Quote:I received 30 birds and only 3 were cockerels, so statistically it's not too likely that it's a coincidence - though still possible. From what I understand it's a single gene that causes this sex-linked trait to occur. I've read that it can be bred into any line a person decides to add it to. I wonder if these hatchery birds have had this gene bred into them? It sure is cheaper and easier for hatcheries to raise feather-sexed birds, vs those that have to be vent sexed.

There aren't a lot of pure breeds that are feather sexable; most feather sexing varieties are hybrids, crosses. The likelihood that the hatchery is maintaining two separate flocks of Delawares for feather sexing is actually pretty slim (Delawares are a fast-feathering breed generally). Plenty of hatcheries vent sex their pure breeds.

If you only had three cockerels, then, statistically, the likelihood of a coincidence is quite reasonable. You'd need a larger selection of males than just three individuals in order to claim a pattern.

I've seen plenty of hatchery Delawares over the years; granted, some strains have been outcrossed some, but I've never seen nor heard of any strain that could be feather sexed.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    isn't there a chance they just vent sexed them [​IMG] . I would think this is most likely the case since that is what they do isn't it? I will try to get pics this weekend and maybe I can get help sexing them, you didn't send me all the cockeral eggs did ya [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a 9 month old pullet from other lines Janet had at the time, though same sire of most of these, and she is a joy. My DH and I didn't plan to have white birds, but they have blown us away.

Oh, watch for some VERY slow-developing cockerels in your bunch. Had one that literally snuck up on me and I mean, he fooled me good. Thought I had 8 cockerels and 6 pullets, and didn't notice that there were really 9 cockerels till walkswithdog came to get four cockerels from me. She ended up with five, LOL.

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    are the pullets combs rather large on these? ALL of them seem to have a decent comb starting (I think they are 2 weeks, will have to check). Maybe I will try to get those pics today, I am sooo impatient [​IMG]

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    ok, these pics aren't great as they didn't want to stay, but I tried...
    eta- what you don't see are my 2 sons dancing around like fools to get them to stop running around and distract them long enough to get a pic [​IMG]
    there are 7 of them
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I split them into 2 groups for these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by